Need advice on algae removal

Wondered if someone can look at this pic and tell me what this is and how to get rid of it.  I've had two planted tanks and both had it.  I am not using CO2, just filter floss, chemi pure green, and GFO.  Weekly water change.  Fluval Nano LED with schedule noon to 8pm including ramp up and down.

PXL_20220103_185450615.jpg

PXL_20211227_204033460.MP.jpg

PXL_20211115_180930454.jpg

ugh... I totally understand.

Truth? 

you'll never fully get rid of it.

I just pick through mine by hand, lower flow, adjust lighting, maybe replace moss. I think you've probably got a mechanical filter going somewhere in this tank, and that flow combined with lighting is bringing this on...

• Like 2

From the pictures, it appears you have to different types of algae.  The greenish stringy kind is hair algae.  The black tufts on your java fern are black beard algae.  Green hair is easy to remove, I use a toothbrush like a comb and pull it away the plants and moss. This will always take some moss away, but it will grow back.  Green hair algae can be caused by too much light.  The nano light is fairly strong, what size aquarium is it on?

On 1/3/2022 at 4:59 PM, Jasco7i7 said:

Wondered if someone can look at this pic and tell me what this is and how to get rid of it.  I've had two planted tanks and both had it.  I am not using CO2, just filter floss, chemi pure green, and GFO.  Weekly water change.  Fluval Nano LED with schedule noon to 8pm including ramp up and down.

PXL_20220103_185450615.jpg

PXL_20211227_204033460.MP.jpg

PXL_20211115_180930454.jpg

Get some mystery snails, depending on your tank size, 2 should work well and within a week you’ll see vast improvements

Mystery snails nor trap door snails are going to eat hair algae or black beard algae.  Both species of snails in a 5 gallon are going to create alot of waste as well.  Start by reducing your photo period, a nano light is alot on a 5 gallon aquarium.  You could even do a completel blackout for a week. 

• Like 1