Combining Red Cherry Shrimp & Guppies in same tank

Andrew Puhr

I currently have a small number of guppies in an established 40 Breeder planted with val and dwarf sag  and an established 20 Gallon Red Cherry Shrimp tank. I would like to combine them together but I am worries about stopping the breeding in the shrimp and want the transfer to be as smooth as possible. The shrimp tank currently has a lot of java moss that I will be moving with them as well. The parameters in both tanks are about the same. I was planning to drain the 20 gallon about half. Transfer the java moss and moss balls to the 40 Breeder. Then start collecting and transferring all the shrimp I can into the new tank. Has anyone done this or have any tips or advice for keeping it simple and effective without disrupting either breeding operation? 

• Like 1

I keep these together. I move shrimp a lot to all my tanks. All my parameters are the same. Move your moss and such over then net and drop your shrimp directly on the moss so they feel safe. Guppies will pick off some of the babies so the breeding won’t slow but the survival rate goes down a bit. My shrimp manage to still increase their population. A 3d shrimp net is the safest and easiest I have found for transferring them. Best of luck

558B225B-3C0A-4D81-8F39-C3A8B5181E7C.jpeg

• Like 1

As others have indicated, having them together shouldn't be a problem.  However, there's another aspect to your plan that concerns me.  I've never had good luck introducing shrimp to a new tank, even using water from an established one.

About a year ago I decided to upgrade my thriving colony of dark blue neos from a 5 gallon tank to a 10.  I removed some of the water to a container, caught the shrimp, and transferred them to it.  Removed most of the rest of the water and substrate and added it to the new tank, along with new water (very near the same temperature) and new substrate, and put the shrimp in.

Everything seemed fine for a day or two, but then I started finding several dead shrimp every day.  I would up losing probably 90% of the colony.  It's recovered, but it took months.

Some time later I tried adding shrimp to a brand new tank, with similar results.

I think @JettsPapa makes a good point, but my experience has been more varied.  I had them not take off at all in one new tank (a 5 gallon), but I had good luck transferring them into an established 10.   

I recently set up a new, sterile 10 with new substrate and new water (cycled filter and media from an established tank--not sterile) and loads of plants as a fry grow-out.  I threw some extra shrimp in there since the colony in my 20 was getting pretty big, and I expected that they wouldn't do very well with it being a new tank. 

They have taken off!  It's by far my most active colony.  They're always out and about, probably because the only fish in there are small cories and fry the size of a grain of rice.  I was just commenting yesterday that I can't believe they're doing so well in an unestablished tank.

Can you spot 8 in this picture (there are about 50 blue velvets in the tank, but that's how many were visible IRL)

20211214_104413.jpg.7af190b9c4a30ad2c317f6f1b040e9b2.jpg

And more soon!

20211214_104610.jpg.34a79190f887c379e78931d79a963b7e.jpg

On 12/14/2021 at 11:31 AM, CalmedByFish said:

@JettsPapa  I'm new to shrimp. I only have 6, but 1 is now berried, so I've been assuming I'll put them in a bigger container at some point. Did you figure out what went wrong when yours transferred?

No, I never figured out what went wrong.  My best guess is something in the substrate got disturbed, but that's only a guess.  I do know that I plan to never reuse substrate.  Sand is cheap.

• Like 1

Shrimp are extremely sensitive to  changes in water parameters.  I suspect the new tank's water differed from the tank they came with.  Especially if you didn't drip acclimated first.  As far as guppies with shrimp goes it needs to be a heavily planted tank or the guppies would probably eat the young shrimp.  I have cherry shrimp in my Endler breeding tank and they do fine (it is heavily planted.