Changing Substrate

Hi everyone!

I have a 29 gallon pea puffer only tank. I really liked the look of sand when I  set this tank up a while back and I planned on only using epiphyte plants in it. As my hobby changes, I'm changing this tank to a high tech setup and I would like to play with different plants in there. I'm thinking about changing the substrate to eco-complete. I just wanted to ask the more experienced folks if there is anything I need to worry about with the substrate change. Ammonia spikes? stressing out the fish? Any tips or just your experience would be helpful!

Also, is eco-planted the same as eco-complete? Thank you!

• Like 2

On 12/8/2021 at 1:32 PM, MTAquatics said:

Hi everyone!

I have a 29 gallon pea puffer only tank. I really liked the look of sand when I  set this tank up a while back and I planned on only using epiphyte plants in it. As my hobby changes, I'm changing this tank to a high tech setup and I would like to play with different plants in there. I'm thinking about changing the substrate to eco-complete. I just wanted to ask the more experienced folks if there is anything I need to worry about with the substrate change. Ammonia spikes? stressing out the fish? Any tips or just your experience would be helpful!

Also, is eco-planted the same as eco-complete? Thank you!

If I were trying this, I'd first (1) siphon out tank water, and move out all aquatic fauna -- fish, etc -- to a separate container. Pail can work. I recommend a cycled sponge filter in there though. Then, (2) remove out all epiphyte plants. Once this is done, (3) move out filtration and heating elements. Now (4) remove any hardscape. From here, (5) remove water leaving only about 1-inch. You're now ready to (6) scoop out current substrate. I recommend using something like a plastic sand shovel kids use in a sand box. Avoid sharp objects that might tear at silicone or scratch glass. Once enough is removed, and the glass is rinsed down, (7) add your new Eco-Complete substrate.

If you have enough cycled water and established filters, you shouldn't have to over-worry about your biological cycle. But to be safe, you might consider adding FritzZyme-7 bio starter liquid. Put your hardscape, heaters, filters, etc. back in and let it run for a day. Water test. If you do not see any Ammonia or Nitrite, you're likely Ok. Remember that the more cycled water and established hardscape, plants, and filters you can use, the better off you are.

Edited by Fish Folk
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

@Fish Folk has a lot more tanks than me, so I'll bet his advice is good.

I have a 120-gallon tank and I have done this both ways.

First, my decorator decided my aquarium was in the wrong place. In order to move it, I had to take all the water out, so I thought I would go ahead and change the substrate from white sand to lava rock. I put all the fish, plants, wood, rocks, etc. in big plastic containers with the water and removed the substrate. Then the mover dudes moved the aquarium and stand. Then I put the new substrate in, followed by the water and fish (in that order). It was an all-day project.

A couple of months ago, I decided I wanted to put under-gravel filters in the tank. This time I left the fish in. At water change time, I removed one third of the substrate and put it in a bucket with enough water to cover it. Then I put one of the under-gravel filter plates in. A couple of weeks later I did that again during water change. So now I have under gravel filters under two thirds of the substrate. I still have one to go. This was a little stressful for the fish, but they got over it. I don't think it was quite as stressful as removing the fish from the tank and putting them in a plastic container.

So it is possible to do it either way.

Very little of your beneficial bacteria is in the substrate, so as long as you keep the beneficial bacteria in your filters alive, I think you will be fine.

Edited by HH Morant
  • Like 2

On 12/8/2021 at 1:56 PM, Mmiller2001 said:

I 100% don't recommend Eco Complete. It's the worst substrate for planting plants in. Using Eco Complete was the single biggest mistake I've made.

I you want a black inert substrate, use coarse Black Diamond Blasting Sand. And it's super cheap. Just wash it well.

Thank you for that advice! I've actually used Eco-Complete in my other tanks. Can I ask what you didn't like about it?

On 12/8/2021 at 4:50 PM, MTAquatics said:

Thank you for that advice! I've actually used Eco-Complete in my other tanks. Can I ask what you didn't like about it?

Every time I try to plant in it, it either breaks or damages my stem plants. And if it doesn't damage the plant, it will float to the top because it won't hold them down. It makes me want to scream. And then, when you damage the stem, it stunt for a bit, and I always get premature algae on the lower leaves. I absolutely hate EC.

• Like 1

On 12/8/2021 at 5:21 PM, Mmiller2001 said:

Every time I try to plant in it, it either breaks or damages my stem plants. And if it doesn't damage the plant, it will float to the top because it won't hold them down. It makes me want to scream. And then, when you damage the stem, it stunt for a bit, and I always get premature algae on the lower leaves. I absolutely hate EC.

This... I've swapped out the eco in my 75 and one of my 55s because of that very reason.