Planting in Eco-complete

I was wondering if anyone has used Eco-complete and has trouble getting plants to stay down. Several of my plants just keep floating up or won't stay in the substrate at all. I would prefer not house lead weights. I have seen some advice on gluing them to rocks. Wouldn't this inhibit root growth. 

I don't use eco-complete, but as far as gluing onto rocks, it depends on the plant.  If you're using a rhizome plant like java fern or anubius, they get attached to the rocks or driftwood, as they are happier there than in the substrate.  I used superglue gel on mine, some use string or fishing line. It all depends on what kind of plant we're talking about here.

• Like 1

@32Chop I have shared in your frustration with getting plants to stay planted in eco-complete. It is much lighter and looser than regular gravel. Although, like @ADMWNDSR83 said, it depends on the plant and rhizome plants are fine being glued to something and do not need to be in substrate. I have a biorb with only rhizome plants glued to wood and they are all growing well. Super glue will weaken over time, but the roots of the rhizome plants usually attach themselves to the surface they are on.

I managed to keep crypt spiralis and dwarf sag down by simply placing a larger rock over the roots until they established a hold in the eco-complete. No glue or lead needed. However, I have tried the same thing with water sprite and it always rots under the rock  in the substrate and floats back up. Also, it could depend on what you are keeping in the tank. I have several bristlenose plecos and malaysian trumpet snails in the tank with eco-complete. The plecos seem to have no regard for what I want to do with the tank, it is their home I suppose, and root around in the substrate uprooting the plants. While the snails churn the substrate and loosen the plants hold.

I know plants can be expensive and you want them to look how you have in mind, but experiment to see what works for you. The good thing about plants is that they don't necessarily need soil to grow, just water and light. So having them floating is just an aesthetic inconvenience.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ADMWNDSR83 said:

I don't use eco-complete, but as far as gluing onto rocks, it depends on the plant.  If you're using a rhizome plant like java fern or anubius, they get attached to the rocks or driftwood, as they are happier there than in the substrate.  I used superglue gel on mine, some use string or fishing line. It all depends on what kind of plant we're talking about here.

Yes I glue all of my rhizome plats to rock. I am asking about other plants that go in the soil. 

1 hour ago, Aubrey said:

@32Chop I have shared in your frustration with getting plants to stay planted in eco-complete. It is much lighter and looser than regular gravel. Although, like @ADMWNDSR83 said, it depends on the plant and rhizome plants are fine being glued to something and do not need to be in substrate. I have a biorb with only rhizome plants glued to wood and they are all growing well. Super glue will weaken over time, but the roots of the rhizome plants usually attach themselves to the surface they are on.

I managed to keep crypt spiralis and dwarf sag down by simply placing a larger rock over the roots until they established a hold in the eco-complete. No glue or lead needed. However, I have tried the same thing with water sprite and it always rots under the rock  in the substrate and floats back up. Also, it could depend on what you are keeping in the tank. I have several bristlenose plecos and malaysian trumpet snails in the tank with eco-complete. The plecos seem to have no regard for what I want to do with the tank, it is their home I suppose, and root around in the substrate uprooting the plants. While the snails churn the substrate and loosen the plants hold.

I know plants can be expensive and you want them to look how you have in mind, but experiment to see what works for you. The good thing about plants is that they don't necessarily need soil to grow, just water and light. So having them floating is just an aesthetic inconvenience.

Thanks for the reply. I have tried slightly cover them with the substrate. If that doesn’t work I will try the rocks. 

• Like 1

I use eco-complete in most of my planted tanks either by itself or with Fluval stratum, and don't have any problems keeping plants down in it except for stem plants. Actually the reason I use it mixed with stratum is because it helps hold plants down as the stratum is so light that I have trouble getting rooted plants to stay down. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sleepy said:

Doesnt this cause rot??

4 hours ago, MickS77 said:

I have trouble keeping thin stem plants down in Eco-complete so I use ACO plant weights.

Where do you get ACO plant weights. I can find them on line. Is it a brand of lead plant weights. I am very reluctant to us lead in my tank. If it’s horrible for us I can’t imagine it’s any better for fish or plants. 

I use it and I think it helps to put a gravel bed over top. Also, I put rocks or decorations around where I plant rooting plants to make sure they stay. Plants that can float, I let float for this reason and then plants with rhizomes I either tie down or sit on top of a jar to grow out of. I have to watch my buenos aires from eating them though, they are brutal! 

• Like 2

I like Eco-Complete, but I find I need to use a deep layer of it (at least 2 inches), and really dig the plant down in there if it's a stem plant. For rosette plants like crypts, I sort of cram it down, and then try to very carefully not disturb the plant for a few weeks until the root hairs can cling to the eco-complete. They get really stuck-in once they're established, but that initial period is tough. I find sand the easiest to plant in (but obviously not the most ideal plant substrate for other reasons). 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Try inserting the plant slightly to the side of where you actually want it. Then pull the tweezers towards where you actually want the plant and out of the substrate at the same time. The plant will move with tweezers a bit, but the sideways action prevents there being a hole that the plant floats out of. With step plants, don't trim the lowest leaves too cleanly. If you leave a bit of the leaf attached it can hook into the eco-complete once the stem is pushed in.

• Like 1