Starting Over

lindabee53

I should have done this sooner, but better late than never.

I had a bit of a disaster with my 20-gallon tall tank and am starting again – not quite from scratch, but going back a bit.  The tank is such a mess that I’ve decided to partially empty the tank and move uprooted plants and fish to a bin.  I’m planning to drain from the tank to the bin and hope that holds the fish until I can clean and replant the tank.

Some of my fish haven’t made it.  My betta seems happy and healthy and does not plan to be caught.  The tetras that are still alive seem okay.

None of this will happen this evening.  I have a turkey breast in the oven and a bit more cooking to do.  I do love Thanksgiving prep.

I did take some photos, but haven't figured out how to insert them into the post.  That won't happen tonight, either.

• Like 1

On 11/24/2021 at 8:23 PM, lindabee53 said:

I should have done this sooner, but better late than never.

I had a bit of a disaster with my 20-gallon tall tank and am starting again – not quite from scratch, but going back a bit.  The tank is such a mess that I’ve decided to partially empty the tank and move uprooted plants and fish to a bin.  I’m planning to drain from the tank to the bin and hope that holds the fish until I can clean and replant the tank.

Some of my fish haven’t made it.  My betta seems happy and healthy and does not plan to be caught.  The tetras that are still alive seem okay.

None of this will happen this evening.  I have a turkey breast in the oven and a bit more cooking to do.  I do love Thanksgiving prep.

I did take some photos, but haven't figured out how to insert them into the post.  That won't happen tonight, either.

@lindabee53 I am sorry you went through that, and I am glad you are taking the opportunity to redo.

On the positive side, the remaining fish just survived a stress test, so you know that they are hardy!

Take your time, and plan out exactly what you want. If not all the fish are willing to cooperate, I have scooped out substrate and added fresh substrate by using a gallon freezer bag like an icing bag, and "applied" the substrate exactly where I wanted it without harming the stubborn fish.

Run an extra mechanical filtration for 24 hours and the water will be clear.

I hope you had a wonderful, and relaxing day.

[Tutorial to add pictures]

1. At the bottom of the post, there's an option to "add files" or "other media"

Screenshot_20211126-010625_Chrome.jpg.36f48d77b82da322d10a8fcd60270177.jpg

2. Click on "add files"

Screenshot_20211126-010650_Chrome.jpg.ab5a1935e52dacd28fce13672cd92df5.jpg

3. "Choose an action": select your camera to take a picture right then, or select "files" to select an image from your files of a picture you have already taken.

163652081_Screenshot_20211126-010656_AndroidSystem.jpg.dc6172935906d4eed87a658a17a6bbbd.jpg

4. I selected "files" and then selected the image you needed from my screen shots Screenshot_20211126-010709_Files.jpg.fc803c07430e0f53c46dc7256c333cb8.jpg

5. Notice that at the bottom right corner of each picture, is small green lettering that says "insert"

Screenshot_20211126-010818_Chrome.jpg.7c77eb4916c878a79d463f6db6a8c6de.jpg

Clicking "insert" will place the picture wherever your cursor is.

Hope this helps, and great to see you pursuing this as an opportunity, and not a setback. 

• Thanks 1

Thanks to Torrey, I was able to get these photos uploaded.  Apparently, the earlier problem was not entirely me, but our internet flicking on and off.  Still, without help, I never would have gone back to work it out, so thanks again, Torrey!

Although these photos don't look too horrible, just imagine if that whole back wall had been planted.  Everything there is gone, and you can see my small sponge filter perched on top of the driftwood.  I pulled most of the uprooted stuff out and put it into a pail.

I can't find most of my tetras, but popped the couple I found into the plant pail.  Yes, there's a small heater in it.  My betta has no intention of being snagged, so I'll have to work carefully.

Today, I'm doing a huge water change and clean (for me - it IS only a 20-gallon tank) and will replant before adding the water back in.

IMG_20211124_205338498.jpg

IMG_20211124_205358921.jpg

IMG_20211124_205414714.jpg

• Like 2

I've replanted and have almost refilled.  I still need to put in another three to four gallons, but I can't lift any more water at this point.

And not exactly on topic, but I rescued one of my otos.  I was adding water to their tote and couldn't find one.  Let's face it, how far could it go?  Well, the answer is, down the tube on the sponge filter.  I tried to pour it out, shake it out - gently - and pull the tubing out.  I finally decided it was dead, pulled the filter out and removed the green tube, at which time, the stinker shook itself and scooted into the water.

I found my Anubias nana petite.  All that's left are the rhizome, roots, and some stems.  Not a leaf to be found still attached, which I expect is what happens when you drag it out from under rock without realizing it.  I'm hoping it comes back, but am not holding my breath.

One of the two gifted Anubias plants may not make it.  It was under a piece of driftwood, and part of the rhizome is mushy.

I have hope for the other plants.  I have my betta Fin and two tetras left.  The others just didn't make it.  And I have the otos and cories in the quarantine tank.  I'm tempted to add them to the 20-gallon tank, but it hasn't been quite two weeks, although they seem fine, except for the filter one.  I know the nerite snails are in there somewhere - I saw them this morning, but they're hiding.  They've left me what I think are a lot of eggs in plain sight.

@lindabee53 for the anubias, cut off the mushy part of the one gifted anubias with clean scissors. The healthy part may send out fresh growth. 

The rhizome is literally the heart of anubias, they can melt back to nothing but the rhizome, and then grow back stronger than ever. If you cut off the mushy part of the rhizome, and check on it in a few days, if the 'mushy part' comes back/spreads, throw it away. 

By Christmas, you will have new growth, a healthier tank, and be assured that you have very sturdy fish *and* plants. 

I'm glad I was able to help you post the pictures!

• Like 1

On 11/27/2021 at 9:31 PM, Torrey said:

@lindabee53 for the anubias, cut off the mushy part of the one gifted anubias with clean scissors. The healthy part may send out fresh growth. 

@Torrey  I used my good sewing shears, the Gingher shears, and it was a waste.  The whole rhizome is mushy.  It's compost now.  I do appreciate the information, though, and will remember it.

My Nerite snails are safe and sound, and so are three other snails.  I don't know what kind they are, but they're small.  The smallest one is dark, less than 1/4" long. I've never seen this one before.  The other two have been in the tank and probably came in on plants I was given.  The largest is less than a half inch long and lighter, grayish and pointy at the back.  The middle one is dark.  The two dark ones are small enough that I can't really tell much about them. 

On 11/27/2021 at 9:50 PM, lindabee53 said:

My Nerite snails are safe and sound, and so are three other snails.  I don't know what kind they are, but they're small.  The smallest one is dark, less than 1/4" long. I've never seen this one before.  The other two have been in the tank and probably came in on plants I was given.  The largest is less than a half inch long and lighter, grayish and pointy at the back.  The middle one is dark.  The two dark ones are small enough that I can't really tell much about them. 

Pictures!

@Guppysnail has been the most helpful at identifying snails. 

My snails are eternally grateful for Guppysnail's feeding advice, lol.

I apparently have pond snails, ramshorns, 2 different types of nerite, bladder snails and an assassin snail who cleans up my fry tanks for me before I put new eggs in. 😉

• Like 2

On 11/27/2021 at 11:56 PM, Torrey said:

Pictures!

@Guppysnail has been the most helpful at identifying snails. 

My snails are eternally grateful for Guppysnail's feeding advice, lol.

I'll have to watch for the snails and see about getting pictures.

I have to worry about feeding the snails?  Criminy!  I hear about people trying to get rid of them, and here I am, worrying about their diet.

• Love 1

• 2 weeks later...

I put my cories and otos into the 20-gallon tank just over a week ago.  I lost one of each, so have three otos and five cories.  They all seem happy and one of the cories is getting really big.  

I also got the two pieces of wood back in, along with the water sprite that came in.  Some of the plants didn't do well after being torn up, but nothing has actually died.  One of the Anubias is hanging on by a thread, but there's a bit of rhizome that seems good and it's putting out a couple of roots.  It only has three leaves, but I'm letting it float around and not messing with it.

I hung a little plastic basket on the back wall with suction cups.  I cut a chunk of pothos off a plant that my old boss had in his office and put it in there.  It's been a couple of weeks and it's doing well.  I also but a stem of wandering jew in and it's taking off.

I'd like to find some other kind of top/lid.  What I have is a black top with a hump in the middle for the light.  It's ugly and does nothing to add to the appearance of the tank.

If it's a standard Aqueon rimmed tank you can get glass lid replacements but you will need to consider a light. 🙂 Petco usually has them and I'd recommend buy online pick up in store to get the best price. 

I'm sorry you lost a couple more fish. Hopefully that's the end of that. 

Edited by xXInkedPhoenixX

Sorry about the lost fish. Glad the tank, overall, can be re-done. 

I've got pothos in mine, too. I think it makes the top look perky. 🙂 

I also was going to suggest a standard glass lid. I had the standard black-rim and glass lid combo, with a Fluval 3.0 sitting neatly on top. A Stingray light technically fits, but is a bit jiggly. (I've also used that rim/lid combo with a lamp sitting beside it, so hey, whatever works! 🙈 )

@xXInkedPhoenixX @CalmedByFish I don't know what kind of aquarium it is - it's probably close to 20 years old.

There's a Petco about 30 miles away and I'll probably wait until after Christmas to go look at lids.  I appreciate the suggestions and will keep them in mind.  I know the plants growing out the top will look so much better when I don't have to stand on a stool to see over the current lid.  😉

I have no business being up and on the computer at this hour, but apparently this is not a night for sleep.  Maybe I'll put something on the TV and cut some fabric.