I screwed up again (also rice fish are TOUGH)

CT_

I found another dead rice fish and thought "oh no not ammonia again!"  I'm doing a 1/3 water change 2x/week now (50ish fry in about 15g muck bucket) which i thought was plenty.  I checked levels and it was 0 or at least below 0.25.  Then I dipped the coop test strip in, which I hadn't used because i thought it wouldn't cycle that fast (though I did throw in a decent mass of plants.).  The nitrate/nitrite pads immediately tuned pink.  nitrite was off the charts(>10) and nitrate was at 100ppm.

So don't make my mistake and test your water in new setups!  I think the root of my problem (ignoring my wilful ignorance of parameters) is I was using the co-op auto feeder and was feeding too much.  The opening has a bunch of detents to control the size of the opening, but the door wobbles a bit.  I'm sure it doesn't matter for larger feedings but the first notch has wobble in it that effects how much is fed by probably a factor of 3 or 4 (when using easy fry food).  The workaround I just found today is to open the door wider but then close it down into a square shape with tape. 

Another lesson I learned is that the food clumps and gets stuck on the leaves of floaters (in this case broad leaf water sprite).  I'm sure uneaten food stuck to leaves also played a big role since none of that protein went into fish and it all became nitrogen.  I've now weighed down all my plants.

For fun here's a photo of my muck bucket from an earlier post:

PXL_20211025_211240426_MP.jpg.5be0327425301e5b79c9c9b336c30897.jpg

On 11/8/2021 at 10:49 PM, Beardedbillygoat1975 said:

I’d double up on your floaters to sop up those nitrogenous wastes. Ricefish are pretty tough but can’t deal with nitrite- never had an issue with a bit of nitrate. 

I also just threw in a pothos, which I hope will help a lot too.