Thinking about getting a tanks for inside, What do you recommend?

KittenFishMom

Here is some fan mail from a flounder, (I an a fan of this forum, so it qualifies)

I drain my big 120 tank native tank today.  Some of the fish and snails and mudpuppies and crayfish have gone to a local nature center for the preschool room, so thank tank lives on, to a smaller scale.

Now I am starting to think about getting a tank set up inside the house to keep my hobby going during the winter.  I have a few 10 gallon tanks and I could set up one of them. I also am poking around craigslist and saw a 35 gallon vertical tank on a stand.  I am wondering about the pros and cons of a vertical tank.  (Please note, I am 5'2" so reaching into my big tank required I climb onto a long bench used for painting ceilings and water often ran down my side when I took my arm out of the tank after reaching to the bottom. So I realize vertical might not be the right tank for me, even if the fish like it.)

Please give me your opinions. Should I be sensible and stick with a 10 gallon tank I own or get something a bit bigger and more vertical? 

I also like the idea of the tanks with inverted tower tank standing in them. but they look like a challenge to maintain. Has anyone ever try one? Could a cat tip one over once it is full of water?

I have not decided on the fish yet.  I am think of trying something on the small side. Something that won't eat a large Canadian Nightcrawler in one gup.

All opinions that are OK with the forum are welcome.

Thanks,

KittenFishMom

• Like 1

I would go as big as you can reasonably fit in the space. I'd probably try to get one of the sizes Lefty listed. Of course the 10 gallon is a great tank and so is a 20 long. I think if you're used to a tank the size of a 120 that you'd probably want to go as big as you can.

I am also 5’2”. I dislike tall tanks. I also find fish are happiest in long tanks. I find 20 long ideal for both ease of maintenance and fish happiness. It also allows me better viewing as things do not get “lost” to view. I get to snoop and see everything at all times. 

• Like 1

Fishlife is easier when you can reach the back, the bottom and the corners of your tank.

Why not bring the 120 in and use what you have or do you do temp tanks each year?  Sorry outdoor tanks seem really odd to me they aren't thing I've encountered over here so I don't really know the routine with them.

As to what tank is best for you - decide what you want to keep and where it will go and get the biggest that will fit in the space.  Take into account the running costs especially if you water is metered.  But the bigger the tank the faster you use everything like ferts and water conditioner. 

• Like 1

@Flumpweesel I sort of backed into the aquarium hobby. 

I fish in Owasco Lake, one of New York’s Finger Lakes, from our cottage on the shore. My Mom likes to eat fresh bullhead catfish.  The last few summers, I would keep the bigger ones I caught in plastic bins with HOB waterfall filters until I was ready to clean them and take them to her. They would be out of the water at most 45 minutes before they hit the frying pan.  

This started a strategic battle between me and nocturnal fish stealing wildlife. (Mostly raccoons) It involved boards, rocks, lights, tarps, live catch traps and long rides into the state forest for the wildlife. The wildlife does this for a living, and it is just a hobby for me, so they usually ended up with the fish I had promised to Mom.

Last winter, I thought we could get a large used aquarium set up in the garage, and still have fish in the morning. I was thinking 30-40 gallons.  I started watching the craigslist ads, and found a 120 gallon tank with stand and heaters and filters and everything you could want for $200.  The reason the price was so low was it had to be out of this person's friends place in a week. The seller even delivered it and help set it up for $50.  This was less than a lot of the tanks I was looking at, and it was delivered. Also, there was room in the garage on the cement floor. What could be better?

This was just going to be a holding tank for my catch.  It arrived about a month before the fish started biting.  I studied up on keeping native tanks so I could release any extra fish. That was my downfall, the hobby sunk its teeth into me and I was bit with the bug.

As the fish I caught changed during the summer, so did the tanks population.

Then I scooped up about 70 bullhead fry, and become KittenFishMom, and learned how to raise the fry and got into hatching and keeping a colony of brine shrimp. The bullhead fry lived in one, then 2 then 3 10-gallon tanks until I could put them in the 120 without the big fish eating them. I'm sure they were snacked on now and then, but on the whole they thrived.

The garage is getting cold now, and I have rehomed and released the creatures, and the water is drained. I wasn't going to have an indoor tank this year, but I do miss the fish.

The lake cottage is small, and was build in the 1930’s as a summer camp, so the floors can not take a lot of weight.  We put in a 3-panel sliding glass patio door which floods the inside with sunlight. Next to that is a heat pump, which not be the right place for a tank. We also have a cat and a very helpful kitten.  So, placement is a bit tricky, but we will find a safe spot soon.

My husband even suggested some sort of coffee table fish tank, but I would not want to stub my toe on it.

I hope this explains why I have a seasonal tank in the garage, and why I need help figuring out an indoor tank.

Edited by KittenFishMom
  • Like 1
  • Love 1

Wow that's an answer, yes I understand the outdoor tank better now. Thank you. Your home sounds lovely by the way.

I would suggest starting with one of your 10gal tanks . Lots of cute nano choices and you can easily move it till you settle on a spot.  Once you have the spot you can figure out if you can go bigger before you start spending. 

But cats generally fair better if tanks have lids. I had an open tank for awhile and my cat would get stuck (legs on the two glass rails on the inside) far to frequently for him to be considered smart.

@Flumpweesel

My black and white kitten is on the arm of my recliner carefully studying the large black and white skunk under the bird feeder on the other side of the glass panel. This kitten is so help. He shoves things off tables just to make sure gravity is still working. I'm sure he wants to meet the skunk, but I won't allow it! 

Yes a weighted cover for the indoor fish tank is a must !

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/8/2021 at 7:37 PM, lefty o said:

if height is the major concern, a 29, 40breeder, or 55 might fill the bill. none are overly tall.

@lefty o Can I have your permission to blame you personally for the 55 gallon tank and full set up that is arriving tomorrow morning at 11:00m? I will be sorting the huge pile of clothes I stashed there all night to get the spot clear for the tank. (only $100 on craigslist "55 gallon Aquarium with fluvial and whisper new filters. 4ft led light new, commercial quality air pump with hoses and air stones. I have a wave maker. The aquarium top, the heater. I'm also selling with the entire aquarium set up," And they are delivering it for gas money. How could I refuse?

Edited by KittenFishMom
  • Like 2

I had a 30g hex that almost ruined the hobby for me. I had a normal 10 that leaked and replaced it with that. I hated it, the viewing window was so small and the angles made it even worse, much more fun seeing behavior in a 10 the in the cramped foot of that tank. It wasn’t the normal problems for me that people have with tall tanks, I have a 90g now that I love which is even taller, I just hated seeing all my fish swimming in tight circles and not having the length to really show off behavior.