Ziss Bio Filter vs. Fluval 207

SoCalBunz

The Ziss will never ever leak on your floor.  That said I have an FX-4, 307, and 107 and they have never leaked.

If you don't want to splash around in your tank to service the filter go with the 307.

If you don't mind looking at the Ziss in your tank go with it.

The 307 can be setup to polish your water, the Ziss not so much.

I have the smallest Eheim Classic 150 on a 16 gallon, and I like it for the spray bar, and being super-basic. However, I have been slowly converting to using sponge filters in more and more tanks.

I thought we had left air stone tech behind in the 1990s, but with foam instead of carbon, and weighted drop-in filters instead of under gravel, I'm now a believer. I still like power to move water horizontally, like with my MF10s in my pico shrimp tanks, but it is still just foam tech moving water inside the tank.

Perhaps try two or three Co-Op Sponge Filters. With proper check valves, you are keeping the water in the tank. If you do run a canister, I always recommend putting it in a bucket or tote, because there will be water, even if it is just on maintenance day.

I have the Ziss filter in a 40 breeder paired with a Penguin 275 Pro. The Ziss is basically for biological filtration and the 275 handles the mechanical part. If you’re concerned about flow and dead spots and aren’t  worried about spending a few bucks go with the canister. You can put the intake and return on opposite ends of the tank which keeps everything moving. 

I have a fluval 207 on my 29 gallon and I do like it. I do have both intake and output on the back of the tank but on the same side. The intake is in the very corner and down low and the output is about 5 or 6 inches away from it, pointing diagonally away towards the far side of the tank. In this size tank I think this creates a nice flow, and all the hosing is on one side. 

filter207.png