AdamL

Hello!

I'm Adam from Wisconsin/Minnesota and I am new to the Aquarium Co-Op forum, shop, videos, etc, and trying to get back into having an aquarium at home. Tomorrow I get a new 40 gallon tank (I've only had 20 or less in the past), and I have been trying to do research on having a planted aquarium.

I am starting from scratch, and I have fluval plant/shrimp substrate and some carpet plant seeds. With substrate, do you suggest I add air stones, decorations, etc before laying the substrate down, or wait to add it until after? Also, do you suggest adding fish before or after adding live plants? A local fish shop had dwarf flame gouramis, anyone have experience with them, and have any tips?

Thanks!

On 11/4/2021 at 6:08 AM, AdamL said:

Hello!

I'm Adam from Wisconsin/Minnesota and I am new to the Aquarium Co-Op forum, shop, videos, etc, and trying to get back into having an aquarium at home. Tomorrow I get a new 40 gallon tank (I've only had 20 or less in the past), and I have been trying to do research on having a planted aquarium.

I am starting from scratch, and I have fluval plant/shrimp substrate and some carpet plant seeds. With substrate, do you suggest I add air stones, decorations, etc before laying the substrate down, or wait to add it until after? Also, do you suggest adding fish before or after adding live plants? A local fish shop had dwarf flame gouramis, anyone have experience with them, and have any tips?

Thanks!

Welcome , I would start with mature plants , seeds can be problematic, I tried once and couldn’t get a single good plant

• Like 1

On 11/4/2021 at 3:35 AM, Flumpweesel said:

I agree with @Helan seeds could be a new level of "fun" that slows you down at the start however I'm intrigued what are they are what are the instructions ?

Its small leaf grass seeds. I do plan on having mature plants added as well, just wanted to try these out too. If it doesn't work, the seeds werent expensive. 

71ioBuSW3CL._AC_SL1500_.jpg.d38c8979da78b2e1133ac990bd40173c.jpg

61tGfhPCFfL._AC_SL1500_.jpg.caed306300aefdb2431b618b5da61e8f.jpg

Welcome! From what I understand most of the carpeting seeds are not true aquatic plants so they’ll look good at first then melt away. I think if the seed method worked then places like Aquarium Coop would be selling them.  It’s worth some serious research before you decide to go that route. 

On 11/3/2021 at 3:31 PM, Flumpweesel said:

I'd go substrate first, then decor, then plants, then change your mind and move everything.

Get your cycle going then add fish.

I agree! 
Fish only after you have a cycled tank.

On 11/4/2021 at 1:35 AM, Flumpweesel said:
  • Like 1

I'd be tempted to try on a small scale first to see how it works (jars).

My concern would be that they would germinate and grow nicely in the well lit humid tank  but then when the water was added and and they have to adapt to the new (less light less CO2)  conditions the melt back would be troublesome. 

If it works though awesome and I am really interested to see how you do. 

• Like 1

On 11/5/2021 at 12:01 AM, AdamL said:

Its small leaf grass seeds. I do plan on having mature plants added as well, just wanted to try these out too. If it doesn't work, the seeds werent expensive. 

71ioBuSW3CL._AC_SL1500_.jpg.d38c8979da78b2e1133ac990bd40173c.jpg

61tGfhPCFfL._AC_SL1500_.jpg.caed306300aefdb2431b618b5da61e8f.jpg

Growing from seeds is definitely not as easy as that instruction looks