Danio Fry - now free swimming. What to feed? Brine shrimp?

newFish

I got some surprise Zebra Danio fry that I'm trying to grow out.  They are in a 7 gallon planted tank with some neocaridina, no other fish in the tank.  Yesterday, they were attached to the glass, but this morning, they are now free swimming.  I'm getting the feeling that free swimming takes a lot of energy, and from other research, they probably could use supplementary food beyond the copepods currently living in the tank.

Are newly free-swimming zebra danio fry big enough to eat baby brine shrimp?  I've read other feeding tips like egg yolk and crushed flake food.  I'm not sure the relative size of these things.  Is baby brine shrimp smaller than egg yolk or crushed flake?  I also have powder spirulina on-hand that I've used for growing brine shrimp, so I can use that too if it's more appropriate.

Edited by newFish
  • Like 1

• Administrators

Finely crushed flake food can work. There is also the Aquarium Co-Op Fry Food that is very small and designed for small fry. Live baby brine shrimp will be a little larger than either ground up flake, and definitely bigger than powder. 

Here is the link to the fry food: https://www.aquariumcoop.com/products/easy-fry-and-small-fish-food?_pos=1&_psq=fry&_ss=e&_v=1.0

On 11/3/2021 at 10:51 AM, Colu said:

Sera micron hikari Frist bites or crushed flake

On 11/3/2021 at 10:55 AM, GameCzar said:

I'm loving the combo of Easy Fry Food and Sera Micron for my guppies.  I'll be adding live BBS to the next batch's regimen. 

I just tried newly hatched baby brine shrimp.  TOO BIG!  I can seem the fry interested and swim up to it, bump the brine shrimp, and swim away looking for something smaller.

So I have white cloud fry that are similar size to the danio fry and the first few weeks I fed them powdered flake food. I tried to feed them crushed bloodworms too that I just got from the bottom of the bloodworms container and they seemed to like that too. I would just experiment with different foods and just crush them up very fine and see what they like. Congrats on the new children. 😉