Apistogramma cacatoides in a 20 gallon long or high

Stephen Zawacki

hey guys so I have a question I am for my brother going to be getting him a pair of apistogramma cacatoides triple red, what I want to know is would a 20 gallon long or high be better for a pair, he could make the 20 gallon long work, but the 20 high would probably for space for his room be the better option.   I want to hear you input. 

Thx Stephen Zawacki 

yeah he does have a pretty well planted tank. I do have caves, so your recommending 1 male two females, what happens if I was able to get my hand on a pair of dedicated pair, or are you still recommending the trio. also he has also mention possible getting a pack of pea puffers would that be a option?  in a 20 high or 20 long? If the pea puffer pack of 6 is a option I can get a pack of 6 on aquahuna I have a 14 gallon fluval flora could  I do the pack in there?

thx stephen 

Edited by Stephen Zawacki

I tend to try out whatever I decide I want to in my set ups and have a plan if it doesn't work out (my pao puffer colonies are examples of this both have worked out one has produced its 4th spawn).

I think anything could be done, including apistos and pea puffers, but there should probably be a back up plan for any set up that incudes a puffer or a pack of puffers. My general rule is that the tank is a puffer tank and they allow the rest in there until they change their mind. I would be cautious on the pea puffers with the apistos even in a well planted tank there is a risk that the puffers will go after the apistos to such a level that they wont breed or wont survive.

I am sure that combo could work I have two female variatus platies and a female kidders livebearer who were originally culls and decided they were not culls. That group of 3 spent 4 months living in a tank of 6 adult mekong puffers and the past month with 3 adult hairy puffers; stranger things have happened than pea puffers and apistos cohabitating peacefully.

My cautionary tale is that all the pea puffers I have kept tended to be curious and were drawn to colors. A longer orange or red fin might just be too fun for them to ignore. I expect that it is more likely than not that they would go after apisto fins for puffer entertainment at a minimum. 

I have not done apistos personally but have bred a few dwarf cichlids. The African Butterfly Cichlid, the Bolivian Ram, and Pelvicachromis subocellatus "Moanda" (krib). If I had to pick between a 20L and 20H I would go for more surface area of the 20L with the caves spaced out to the corners and facing away from each other. I would never say do not keep a puffer species but if the set up is more apisto focus maybe something mid and top water that would appreciate the plants would be worth looking at. I have always thought the blue eyed rainbow varieties (Pseudomugil ) would be good for that kind of set up as well as the more exotic looking not giant species of rainbowfish like a threadfin rainbow (Iriatherina werneri). A "what is that thing? thats a cool fish " idea that might work in there is also one I have not seen until recently the Sailfin Tetra (Crenuchus spilurus). Those might make it up here on the mountain soon

I know I’ve pointed this out before but folks put a lot of thought into helping  with questions like this. It’s  fun to conjecture and dream about what fish might work in what tank. I bet most nerms are pretty much constantly doing just that. However asking the same question over and over in multiple different threads is starting to get tedious. How about starting a thread called “Stephen’s Tanks” or something along those lines. That way you can post your progress in the hobby and show off pics of your fish and tanks over a period of time. Start by introducing yourself and telling us what tanks you currently have and what you’re keeping in them. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

On 10/28/2021 at 1:15 PM, Patrick_G said:

I know I’ve pointed this out before but folks put a lot of thought into helping  with questions like this. It’s  fun to conjecture and dream about what fish might work in what tank. I bet most nerms are pretty much constantly doing just that. However asking the same question over and over in multiple different threads is starting to get tedious. How about starting a thread called “Stephen’s Tanks” or something along those lines. That way you can post your progress in the hobby and show off pics of your fish and tanks over a period of time. Start by introducing yourself and telling us what tanks you currently have and what you’re keeping in them. 

Agreed

• Like 1

Ok I have a very hard time making decisions on tanks and what to keep so that is why I ask about different tank options I'm trying to learn also, not everything is for me also, some of these questions are form my friends also here is my cpd tank still growing not all these tanks are theoretical also. I am still relatively new to the hobby so that is why I am always asking you guys for advice, take that as a compliment because that is why I came to this forum to learn not to be scolded.

16354539631054880912459849165440.jpg

Edited by Stephen Zawacki

On 10/28/2021 at 6:26 PM, Stephen Zawacki said:

Ok I have a very hard time making decisions on tanks and what to keep so that is why I ask about different tank options I'm trying to learn also, not everything is for me also, some of these questions are form my friends also here is my cpd tank still growing I am still relatively new to the hobby so that is why I am always asking you guys for advice, take that as a compliment because that is why I came to this forum to learn not to be scolded.

16354539631054880912459849165440.jpg

It looks like you have a nice start. I would enjoy reading a journal based on this tank. It helps us get to know you and also be able to help where we can. I have many videos and such on my Cpd’s posted in my journal linked to my signature  that you are welcome to look at it may help you. I was very confused by all your questions for your friends it made it hard to take your questions seriously. It’s probably best to let them ask their own questions. Doing a journal of your personal experiences with this tank also allows you to help others on the forum who may be interested in CPD or something you have experienced. If your friends want to partake of the knowledge of the forum they should join. If not then they are best left to their own devices. 

• Thanks 2

Ok thankyou, if I were to do a pair of apistos for me in a 10 species only guppy this is something I've always wanted to give a shot at.  I've watched the videos on corey talking about a pair in a ten but also want to hear your opinion. I am aloud 20 total gallons in my apartment so I could have a beautiful cpd tank along with a apisto tank ? 

So currently I have two tanks running one is a heavy planted 40 breeder with a spotted congo puffer along with 3 panda garas  the tank has been running for 3 years that tank is at home , this cpd tank that I have is my second and has been running for about 6 months.  Then my question was I can have a max of 20 gallons in my apartment.  I saw Corey Said that a pair of apistos, I am leaning towards a pair of cacatoides triple red.  I just want to make sure that works also.  I have 2 Terra cotta caves also.  Then the other question is the empty tank i have is heavy planted with fouralite black volcanic gravel like the gravel I'm my picture above would that substrate be suitable for apistos. 

On 10/28/2021 at 6:43 PM, Stephen Zawacki said:

So currently I have two tanks running one is a heavy planted 40 breeder with a spotted congo puffer along with 3 panda garas  the tank has been running for 3 years that tank is at home , this cpd tank that I have is my second and has been running for about 6 months.  Then my question was I can have a max of 20 gallons in my apartment.  I saw Corey Said that a pair of apistos, I am leaning towards a pair of cacatoides triple red.  I just want to make sure that works also.  I have 2 Terra cotta caves also.  Then the other question is the empty tank i have is heavy planted with fouralite black volcanic gravel like the gravel I'm my picture above would that substrate be suitable for apistos.