Canister Filter Media

dmurray407

I have 2 Fluval Canister filters-a 307 (for my 60 gal tank) and a 107 (for my 10 gallon tank) I've read a few posts where people say that they use "alternative" filter medias like polyfil and sponges in their filters and they say it is cheaper and more efficient than the brand name stuff. Can anyone tell me more about what they use instead of brand name media?   Which things can be safely replaced with "cheap stuff" and which things should not be switched?  The 307 isn't that bad, but the 107 has some different pads and things I'm not sure I need at all.  The 107 came with 3 different types of "bio foam". See the photo for the available options.

Screen Shot 2021-10-25 at 6.39.56 PM.png

I have the fx4 and fx5. On both of them I use the coarse foam from fluval on the perimeter of every basket. On the inside chambers on almost every level I use matrix in coarse(high flow) filter bags. The only other thing I use is crushed coral in the same type of bags.

I use 30ppi foam prefilters from jehmco that I service with every water change.  The cannister I check on the condition every 4-6 months.  The prefilters keeps it very clean inside.

• Like 1

I do not use Fluval either, but replace all the chemical filtration media in my canisters with biological media. Mostly 20ppi sponges, and some ceramic rings. Pre-filter sponges get cleaned with every WC, canisters themselves once every 4 months or so.

Edited by eatyourpeas
  • Like 1

I have two Marineland C - 220 canister filters made for 60 G tanks, but I have mine on 29 G tanks. These filters came with 4 media baskets for customization, and that's what I did.

I removed the carbon filter media and the bio - balls, I placed filter foam in all 4 baskets so that I have 2 layers of filter foam in each basket with a little bit of peat pellets between two layers in one basket since all of my fish are blackwater fish. I have a polishing pad on top of the filter foam in the uppermost basket.

I've been doing this for about six years with the same filters with no problems, and they are so easy to clean.

I don't know how many media baskets a Fluval filter has so this is just an idea that has worked well for me.  

• Like 1

I had 2 fluval canister 107 & 307 I now have 5. 107 207 (2)307 407. I use this plus coop coarse as the first layer. I use the aquaneat 20 as the second then aquaneat 30 as the third. I do not use the pho’s pads or bio rings or carbon. Then the 40ppi that is included as the last. I cut it to the thickness needed to achieve each layer depending on size.  It is the best combo I have found. I think  @eatyourpeas uses this media as well but I do not know what combo or canister they use. Page 11 of my journal here explains more. 01667D5E-46F7-405A-973F-582C4BACAE13.jpeg.047e67d36dde66b36f7a332d73bf0650.jpegA3FEF3C3-5584-4E26-94D7-56EAC3C45EFE.png.c4113fe2e6aebbf6f6b0b5d4eae91e81.png8C4BAF1A-28E5-4356-BD4E-7684171B42BC.png.608a50cf28322a070b1fef6798f17991.png
I have used the bio rings and matrix and they do not perform  for me nearly as well I removed them. 

Edited by Guppysnail
  • Like 1

On 10/25/2021 at 7:43 PM, Wonder Boy said:

I think this video might help

Just what I was looking for-thank you!!! 

On 10/25/2021 at 7:46 PM, Guppysnail said:

I had 2 fluval canister 107 & 307

Thank you so much for the detailed explanation-I just knew there was a better way 🙂

• Like 1