Birding & Nature Journal

Fish Folk

On 1/2/2023 at 8:30 PM, stowcenter93 said:

What makes you say red shouldered? 

Its hard to see on mobile but it looked like a red tailed hawk to me. I can see a faint belly band that is a good ID. 

I agree, hard to tell. My son is the birder. We went back and forth awhile. He sees no distinct belly band; slight eyebrow ring (not clear here in this janky video I took through the scope), and teardrop formation on breast. I’m not one to know, I just drive him places 😂

• Haha 1

On 12/17/2022 at 12:30 AM, TheSwissAquarist said:

Sadly my mountain valley only has sparrows, robins and kites; but I might take a larger interest since the local authority has started a “Save this endangered bird” program. 😏

F22C5EC0-FCA7-4DF9-9F42-F476CD452504.png

I used to take pictures of both Auerhahn (Capercaillie), and Birkhahn (Black Grouse) when I still lived in West Germany. Back then the species were even rarer than today, and you had to spend days camped out in silence in a tent blind for each photo, although being friends with a Forstmeister (Forest Ranger) helped tremendously.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

@Fish Folk They're a bit more elusive, but I know a place where they like to hang out. also got some more shots of Northern Shovelers, Whitetail Deer, Belted Kingfishers, Common Mergansers, Red tailed Hawk, Cooper's Hawk, Canada Geese, American Widgeons, American Coots, Virginia Rail, and some Bobcats this morning but I haven't finished post processing yet.

• Love 1

On 1/14/2023 at 5:32 PM, Jungle Fan said:

@Fish Folk They're a bit more elusive, but I know a place where they like to hang out. also got some more shots of Northern Shovelers, Whitetail Deer, Belted Kingfishers, Common Mergansers, Red tailed Hawk, Cooper's Hawk, Canada Geese, American Widgeons, American Coots, Virginia Rail, and some Bobcats this morning but I haven't finished post processing yet.

Bobcat??!! That I've got to see. Even if they're rough shots. Unreal. We have them here, but have not been able to get a photo yet.

• Like 1

@Fish Folk would love to share the Bobcat pictures, but they were the main reason for this morning's expedition. A photographer friend of mine got himself in a bind taking commissions for Caribou pictures and Bobcats at the same time. Had it been Canada Lynx he would've been good to go in Fairbanks, however as is I agreed to take the Bobcat pictures for him. There is a female with two cubs in our park and I had to wait for them at their stomping grounds since before dawn this morning, a meadow with plenty of rabbits next to a pond with lots of reeds and brushwork on the edges. If he doesn't take the whole lot I might have some shots for show and tell, however he's got first dibs. Should be about two weeks give and take, because after Fairbanks, he's due for a workshop in Costa Rica. Another great place for Bobcats in Colorado is Cheyenne Mountain State Park, you just have to be out before dawn, and rabbits are their number one prey. Every time he tells me about his schedule in between commissions, and workshops I'm glad I'm retired.

With Bobcats you need to make sure you know where the wind is coming from, if they catch your scent you'll never see them. I used to use a blind as well but since today was a gift horse assignment I just went kind of improptu and used some of the brush as a blind.

• Like 2