William Lynch

On Sunday I purchased 4 panda corys from my LFS. I brought them home and put them directly into quarantine and started the med trio as a precaution. At first the fish looked fine albeit skinny from not being well looked after by this local store. Three of the corys had been relatively active while the smallest and skinniest one stayed pretty still on the bottom of the tank. 

However on Tuesday I got back from work and one of the fish was laying on the bottom of the tank on its side. (this was one of the 3 that were acting normal the first few days not the smallest one) I made 100% sure that it was really dead before removing it from the tank and inspecting him. I am not a fish expert and have no experience with this but I noticed that his gills were a little red maybe inflamed but not any more than the other fish who are still in the tank alive. (ammonia in the tank is at 0.5 ppm) I also noticed a green color under the scales behind the gills. 

Basically... where should I go from here. If there is a specific reason for this fish's death should I take any extra steps with the rest of the three to ensure their health? The rest of the fish seem to be acting healthy as of now so perhaps the stress of the quarantine process was just too much for the little guy. Any help would be greatly appreciated thank you. 

891370012_IMG_17892.jpg.d44ac88629f6cbf86b742375b3d90487.jpg

I have just attatched my water parameters if that help at all.

Edited by William Lynch

Corys are sensitive to ammonia, and will emit a toxin when stressed.

There's a lot of information on corys in the Aquarium Co-Op Members video from last month. 

I don't currently have any corys, and still learned plenty. If I were to get corys, I would be watching the video, and asking questions there.

The subject was corydora venom.

On 9/30/2021 at 11:47 PM, Torrey said:

Corys are sensitive to ammonia, and will emit a toxin when stressed.

There's a lot of information on corys in the Aquarium Co-Op Members video from last month. 

I don't currently have any corys, and still learned plenty. If I were to get corys, I would be watching the video, and asking questions there.

The subject was corydora venom.

Will be watching that. Didn’t know of the Venom. Not a Cory owner yet. I love how surprised I can be with every fish. Always something special of each type, breed etc.  

Edited by Stacy Z