My first betta is home. Sooo nervous.

Karen B.

Just wanted to share with you guys how nervous I am. I have 4 tanks, but it’s my first betta. They seem particular and not need the same care as other fish so ot feels like I am starting in this hobby all over again (I know, it’s weird to say that as they are considered easy beginner fish)

So far I had his bag float for about 20-25 minutes. I am now drip acclimating him. Water in the bag was absolutely pristine, but I still added a tiny drop of prime as he was in the bag for 2 days.

He was imported from Thaïlande, then stayed at his seller in Ontario (Canada) for a while (he confirmed me that he quarantined him) and now he is at my place. That’s a lot of changes of water parameters in a short times and I admit it stresses me a bit. My tank is cycled (1 month), 0/0/10, pH a bit high for a betta (7.4), kh is 4, but it’s the gh that bothers me the most. I have such hard water at 20. I hope he can tolerate it as I have yet to find an effective way to drop my gh. It’s running rather high in all my tank (ranging from 12 to 20). 

so if you have any tricks, suggestions, commentary on anything to make sure the transition for my betta guns smooth, go ahead, I am all ears!

He is sharing his 10 gallons tank with a nerite snail and a surprise baby corydoras (his egg hitchhiked on a plant I transferred. I will quarantine him with the betta then switch him with his brother/sister in a tank better suited for him (sand substrate)

FD473205-E685-4A5D-B906-430EB8047272.jpeg

• Like 7
  • Love 3

They love Indian almond leaves coop sells them. The leaves will also help the water a bit as my limited understanding is they bind calcium making the water a touch softer and lowering ph….again limited understanding but my betta always did better with them. Best of luck. I would love to read about your journey with him in a journal.  

On 9/29/2021 at 5:18 PM, Guppysnail said:

They love Indian almond leaves coop sells them. The leaves will also help the water a bit as my limited understanding is they bind calcium making the water a touch softer and lowering ph….again limited understanding but my betta always did better with them. Best of luck. I would love to read about your journey with him in a journal.  

The indian almond leaves will also release tannins! My betta loves his tannins.

Yes, I agree with everyone so far! Such a wonderful home for your betta!! I keep my betta in water that has a pH of 7.5, gH of 10 and kH of 5 and he's thriving and very happy and healthy. I think it's more about stability than looking to keep certain parameters!! Sakura also lives with a Nerite snail and a few Malaysian Trumpet snails very peacefully! Don't stress too much! You're gonna' have a very happy fishy! Congrats on your first betta, they make wonderful water puppies! Keep us updated!! 😁

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...