Hornwort killing pleco?

Bullsnark

Has anyone ever found that hornwort needles when converting to immersed growth have shed all over the place and killed their pleco?  Water parameters are good and after last night, my biggest pleco that was nice and healthy was suddenly dead. No chlorine, no ammonia, low nitrates, low nitrites , but a bunch of brown sharp hornwort needles around where the dead pleco was. I though maybe it was something about the water change last time, but this time I hadn’t changed the water yet. Last time two died in this tank after a water change, but this one died before. The only constant in this tank (that I can think of) is the hornwort litter. 

• Sad 2

On 9/13/2021 at 6:43 AM, Colu said:

Are you using a dechlorinator like prime when you do your water changes and you  have low nitrites what exactly are your nitrites have you added anything new to the tank resently 

Low nitrates, low nitrates, no new additions, and no chlorine.Low nitrates, low nitrates, no new additions, and no chlorine.  I had a post under the diseases section when the first 4 died, but this last one looked super healthy- even as he was dead. 9F062615-A145-425D-A818-CCE90FDF223B.jpeg.098b47023413c79ed2c68d68ab4fa844.jpeg

On 9/13/2021 at 2:13 PM, BlueLineAquaticsSC said:

Hard to tell from the picture, but are his pectoral fins torn up or just folded in? Could it be an aggression issue

He had a snail eating on him for probably an hour and a half before I realized he was dead. He had been alive over in the corner and the snail had been alive over in the same corner munching on an algae wafer. When I walked by later, the snail was on top of him/her. The only other fish in the tank at that point were three female beta, and they didn’t mess with anything, even each other unless it was just a bump one another during feeding time.