I received my plants from the Coop, and they are simply beautiful, healthy and are already waking up.

So, I have sand substrate because I have corydoras, and was looking for a way to plant and add fertilizer without the plants floating (thin layer of substrate), and without the corys finding the root tabs.

I also have snails in the tank. Since I need eggshells for the snails because I have soft water, I am trying taking a half eggshell after cooking the membrane out, poking a small hole(s) on the bottom, adding fertilizer and the plant, filling the empty space with sand, and dropping it in the tank. They stay in place, and they are easy to move if I need to. The shell will eventually dissolve leaving a well rooted plant in the substrate.

This also works for adding root tabs around the tank by adding more holes to the bottom of the eggshell. 🙂

Edited by eatyourpeas
  • Like 9
  • Love 1

• Administrators
On 9/9/2021 at 9:20 AM, eatyourpeas said:

I received my plants from the Coop, and they are simply beautiful, healthy and are already waking up.

So, I have sand substrate because I have corydoras, and was looking for a way to plant and add fertilizer without the plants floating (thin layer of substrate), and without the corys finding the root tabs.

I also have snails in the tank. Since I need eggshells for the snails because I have soft water, I am trying taking a half eggshell after cooking the membrane out, poking a small hole(s) on the bottom, adding fertilizer and the plant, filling the empty space with sand, and dropping it in the tank. They stay in place, and they are easy to move if I need to. The shell will eventually dissolve leaving a well rooted plant in the substrate.

This also works for adding root tabs around the tank by adding more holes to the bottom of the eggshell. 🙂

Hmmm...this is very interesting. If it works, you may be on to a genius discovery! I'd love to hear about an update in 2-3 months. Also, any pics that you can share? Because you mention that your substrate is thin, I am envisioning little egg shell plant pots sticking up rather than buried. 

On 9/9/2021 at 9:51 AM, Zenzo said:

I am envisioning little egg shell plant pots sticking up rather than buried. 

I just pictured an alien sequel! Little alien egg garden, mmm... coming to an aquarium near you!

I will post pictures when I transfer these guys to the main tank from their QT. 🙂

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

• Administrators
On 9/9/2021 at 11:31 AM, eatyourpeas said:

I just pictured an alien sequel! Little alien egg garden, mmm... coming to an aquarium near you!

I will post pictures when I transfer these guys to the main tank from their QT. 🙂

Now I can't unsee the Alien egg farm! LOL!!!

You could even get bigger eggs, too!  Maybe some duck eggs, swan eggs, an ostrich egg for a big sword!  Oh, wait!  Emu eggs are a beautiful dark green to bluish green, even teal colored!  Just looked up cassowary eggs, they are also green to almost dark turquoise if the pics are to be believed.  I can confirm the emu egg color as I’ve seen some of those in person.

Here comes a rabbit hole!  Bye!

Edited by Odd Duck
  • Haha 3

Ooh, there are broken shells for sale, too.  1/2 pound for $15.00.  1 pound for $25.00.  I bet you could find somebody willing to sell the ones that broke roughly in half at hatching for a decent price if you explained what you wanted and why.  It might tickle their fancy and they might get generous!

On 9/10/2021 at 9:02 AM, Odd Duck said:

You could even get bigger eggs, too!  Maybe some duck eggs, swan eggs, an ostrich egg for a big sword!  Oh, wait!  Emu eggs are a beautiful dark green to bluish green, even teal colored!  Just looked up cassowary eggs, they are also green to almost dark turquoise if the pics are to be believed.  I can confirm the emu egg color as I’ve seen some of those in person.

Here comes a rabbit hole!  Bye!

Yes, I can. The local market has all of those and I love eating them!

Emu eggs may give @Zenzo nightmares just thinking what can come out of those in the middle of the night! 😵

I love these rabbit holes! 😎

• Haha 3

Another thought for bigger eggs - goose eggs!  Nearly all are white, but a few come in shades of soft tan.  Oh, and turkey eggs!  They come with tan to brown speckles!  Peacock eggs?  Well, peahen eggs!  😆 And apparently peahen eggs come in shades of tan/buff but they’re not as big as I would expect for the size of the bird.  Guinea fowl eggs are a little bigger than chicken eggs, about the size of duck eggs.

I need to find a farmer that likes raising fowl!  😆 😂 🤣 

• Like 1

On 9/11/2021 at 5:03 PM, Odd Duck said:

I need to find a farmer that likes raising fowl!

You need to indeed! And you are making me hungry!

I am going to run a little experiment with quail, chicken and duck to start with. Since I only have nano tanks, these will provide some options for the space I can play with and still provide nice fertilizer anchors for the plants. I already did the new plants in the chicken eggs, but I can undo them, or buy a new batch of plants for this round. 🙃

• Haha 2

Cayuga duck eggs start out black and fade into a bluish grey as the season progresses.

Feed chickens pomegranates to get some beautiful eggs, plus the healthiest egg yolks that are a golden red color. 

You can shift the coloration of most birds eggshells with diet: shepherd's purse will add/intensify a greenish tinge (Easter eggers & rumpless), pomegranate adds flecks of red, pink & orange, darker grapes (like purple and red scaupignon) intensify the color of the yolk and also add flecks of color to the shell.

I can't wait to see pictures of your eggshell planters, and I think I need to ask for some egg shells from friends who run an organic farm now!

• Like 3

Here are the pictures of the egg planter process.

Cleaned and baked eggshells:

PXL_20210913_151440077.jpg.28b870ff46ea701fda08c47a88ce2dd1.jpg

Poked small holes on the bottom of the eggshells and added root tab:

PXL_20210913_151604806.jpg.c8b23e5137efd5cc81f16875ba01653d.jpg

Filled with sand and added plant:

PXL_20210913_151635524.jpg.8bbb6e8300e754ac3efdcd98571b5172.jpg

Added to QT:

PXL_20210913_152351995.jpg.41601cc7e5d0b0c77a244d1533a2aa9d.jpg

As soon as the "eyes " become visible, move them to DT as the alien has hatched according to plan:

zenegg.jpg.12ad72eb93e64a5a97350a13653f039d.jpg

• Like 2
  • Haha 5
  • Love 1

On 9/13/2021 at 3:13 PM, eatyourpeas said:

Here are the pictures of the egg planter process.

Cleaned and baked eggshells:

PXL_20210913_151440077.jpg.28b870ff46ea701fda08c47a88ce2dd1.jpg

Poked small holes on the bottom of the eggshells and added root tab:

PXL_20210913_151604806.jpg.c8b23e5137efd5cc81f16875ba01653d.jpg

Filled with sand and added plant:

PXL_20210913_151635524.jpg.8bbb6e8300e754ac3efdcd98571b5172.jpg

Added to QT:

PXL_20210913_152351995.jpg.41601cc7e5d0b0c77a244d1533a2aa9d.jpg

As soon as the "eyes " become visible, move them to DT as the alien has hatched according to plan:

zenegg.jpg.12ad72eb93e64a5a97350a13653f039d.jpg

Love the planters and love the googly eyes!