Water parameters with plants help

So I've got a 55 gallon and a 20 gallon. Both with vallisneria ( doing the best so far ) , sword plants , anubias , java fern , and bacopa. Plants are doing alright but really not booming. Dosing easy green and easy iron in both once a week . Lights. 55 gallon - two t5Ho 46" fluval planted 12000k bulbs. 20 gallon - fluval nano planted 

Parameters. (both tanks are the same with master test kit)

Ammonia. .25 or less ( have never seem it show true zero color so maybe I'm not doing it right )

Nitrates. 5ppm or less - test strips show higher 

Nitrite. 0

Ph. 7.4-7.8

Soo..are my nitrates to low and plants not getting food ? I know you don't want more than. 20-40ppm but master test kit has never showed me more 10ppm. 

Any other issues yall might think of please lmk. 

20210902_194038.jpg

20210902_184331.jpg

Edited by Kyle murfitt

On 9/2/2021 at 9:44 PM, CalmedByFish said:

I actually try to keep nitrates at 20-30 instead of 20. If I understand right, they don't harm the animals below 40. Like someone else said, that'd be more Easy Green

Also, it often takes plants about 3 months before they do anything besides live. If you haven't had them long, it may partly be an issue of time.

Absolutely all of this. Plants take awhile to settle in a tank. It's a game of patience.

If you start changing something, change one thing at a time and wait two weeks before changing something else. It'll give you enough time to start observing the effects of your one change. If you think you need a reduced photoperiod, change the lights and don't change anything else. See what happens. It's all trial and error until you find that sweet spot where you and the plants are happy, and then you adjust and give them more as they grow bigger and their nutrient demands increase.

Also, when your tank stabilizes to 0 amm 0 nitrite the plants will do better. They'll survive just fine (and even grow) through a cycling tank but they won't get 'happy' and really thrive until the tank is stable.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 9/2/2021 at 9:09 PM, laritheloud said:

Absolutely all of this. Plants take awhile to settle in a tank. It's a game of patience.

If you start changing something, change one thing at a time and wait two weeks before changing something else. It'll give you enough time to start observing the effects of your one change. If you think you need a reduced photoperiod, change the lights and don't change anything else. See what happens. It's all trial and error until you find that sweet spot where you and the plants are happy, and then you adjust and give them more as they grow bigger and their nutrient demands increase.

Also, when your tank stabilizes to 0 amm 0 nitrite the plants will do better. They'll survive just fine (and even grow) through a cycling tank but they won't get 'happy' and really thrive until the tank is stable.

Thank you for the info! The 55 gallon has been setup for almost 6 months and I believe is cycled , think im having user error with the master test kit. Test strips showing 0ppm ammonia. And the 20 gallon I used filter media and a seeded sponge filter during setup a little over a month ago. Think I just need to give the plants more time like yall said 

Well, “nothing” is in the eye of the beholder with plants. When you’re new to plants it might not look like a plant is doing anything, when in reality it’s establishing roots, growing its submersed leaves, storing up nutrients, etc. You may not notice if it grows one new leaf out of 20. But once it gets established and the growth rate increases, you’ll definitely notice!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 9/7/2021 at 4:31 PM, Jennifer V said:

@Kyle murfitt if it makes you feel any better, I've had swords in my tank for 9 months and they are only now starting to really explode with growth. They've grown through that time, but I'm just now starting to see obvious results. 

It does make me feel better lol. Im probably trying way to hard and messing with the plants to much. 

• Love 1