Algae and Barley straw

Never tried it myself other than in a pond I used to have in my backyard of a house before this one. It decomposes over about 3 - 4 months and while decomposing releases hydrogen peroxide and tannin which inhibit algae, it works best with lots of aeration. Always keep it in filter media bags unless you enjoy fishing for debris. I was a bit underwhelmed by its performance in the pond, and achieved better results by adding lots of plants and enlarging the pond with a planted bog section that essentially worked like a sump.

However I've heard several people claim they used it in their tanks with success by adding about a handful of it in a filter media bag either to their canister, or HOB and replacing it every three months. As a disclaimer I have to mention I never saw their tanks either in person, or in images.

Hope this helps.

• Like 1

On 9/1/2021 at 1:36 PM, Jungle Fan said:

Never tried it myself other than in a pond I used to have in my backyard of a house before this one. It decomposes over about 3 - 4 months and while decomposing releases hydrogen peroxide and tannin which inhibit algae, it works best with lots of aeration. Always keep it in filter media bags unless you enjoy fishing for debris. I was a bit underwhelmed by its performance in the pond, and achieved better results by adding lots of plants and enlarging the pond with a planted bog section that essentially worked like a sump.

However I've heard several people claim they used it in their tanks with success by adding about a handful of it in a filter media bag either to their canister, or HOB and replacing it every three months. As a disclaimer I have to mention I never saw their tanks either in person, or in images.

Hope this helps.

the one tank I want to try this in has lots of plants but  black beard algae is trying to take a foot hold no matter what I try. I really don't want to tear this tank down to get rid of it so I'm searching for natrual ways to take care of it.

I’ve never tried it in an aquarium but it works fantastic in my livestock’s water tanks and ponds from 40gal to 1 acre in size. Tractor supply sells it in small burlap bags that would be a good size for most tanks I’d say. If you try it keep us updated on your results 

• Like 1