Hydra 2020? Did I miss a 2020 thing?

Sapphere

What is this?  From a face book post, permission was granted to reach out for answers:  As posted;  It's growing off a nirate snail.   Nothing kills it.  And it's hard!  It is a snail.   Size of a quarter.   We have treated the tank with parasite and fungal stuff as well as algae.   He moves around well, eats and has grown.  We have cut them off but they grow back.  

WTF.jpg

It is certainly creepy. I’m not positive it’s hydra but it kinds looks like it and kind of not hydra I am familiar with are definitely not hard. Nerites can be salt/fresh/brackish so maybe it is something that came from those conditions and survives freshwater (totally guessing on that) An easy way to kill hydra cut it off use a qtip dipped in hydrogen peroxide and hold it onto the spot. Hold for 30 seconds. For that monster I may do it twice. Do not allow any peroxide to touch the snails body (foot..soft parts) it will harm the snail. If even 1 cell remains it will regenerate that’s why it is call “immortal”. I hope that helps. Hydrogen peroxide kills quite a range of things so even if it’s not hydra it may help. 

Edited by Guppysnail

That just looks like black worms to me 🤷‍♂️ and their "substrate" does not appear to be a snail, definitely not a nerite. Looks like a large hydrated food pellet.

Hydra look like upside down jellyfish stuck in a tube. The largest freshwater species only being about 3 cm long.

Edited by Biotope Biologist