Maintenance Question: Chemistry and Ammonia

Martin

Good morning all!

I was wondering if, when testing chemistries, do you need to monitor for ammonia specifically?  I just know that most testing strips go for nitrites and nitrates only.  I understand that nitrate tends to be the end product when you have a heavily planted tank, but I just wasn't sure if NH4+ needs to be on my radar.  I ask because my little 10 gallon is PACKED with plants and animal life.  I can't keep count of everything due to there being so many hiding places and, I'm always wondering if there is a dead fish or shrimp somewhere.  There's nothing going on that makes me suspect that, but just a ponderance.  Thanks in advance!

20210825_095016.jpg.259dffbdd9b8b818e08c7815178ef893.jpg92048993_20210825_0949571.jpg.c2ecf8eed90c69ca782be0b065cbb4bc.jpg

• Thanks 1

ill ruffle some feathers here, but other than start up of a new tank, imo ammonia testing is way over rated.  in an established tank with a good colony of bacteria you should never see much if any ammonia. add in plants , and filtration of any kind, and unless you way over feed, or have a mass die off, its really not a concern.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

On 8/25/2021 at 11:06 AM, lefty o said:

ill ruffle some feathers here, but other than start up of a new tank, imo ammonia testing is way over rated.  in an established tank with a good colony of bacteria you should never see much if any ammonia. add in plants , and filtration of any kind, and unless you way over feed, or have a mass die off, its really not a concern.

I Agee I’ve never had issues after establishing I watch nitrates unless I have issues which I never seem to

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I'm too lazy to test for ammonia.  They do sell a little indicator that you can put in your tank for a month and it changes color if you have ammonia.  I'd probably buy that if I had a 300$ fish, but for 5$ nano fish, I'm just too lazy unless I see something seem wrong.