Cleaning tank glass inside and out

Jill Wright

Hi all! I'm finally setting up my first ever tank. A 55 gallon. Just ordered my aquarium co-op plants (we won't discuss the amount I spent 🤣) and I'm wanting to clean my glass on the inside and outside. What is the best method to do this? So far, I'm just moving the smudges and steaks around and it doesn't look very nice. Thanks for any help!

If empty I use 50/50 mix of water and white vinegar.  For filled tanks, I either use a magnet algae cleaner (for heavily planted tanks so I don't damage leaves or disturb plants), for tanks less heavily planted I prefer a handheld razer blade scraper because it is more effective and can get to more spots (just don't use it near the silicone).   For the outside and lids on filled tanks I use my 50/50 mix but be careful not to get the mix directly the plastic hinges on the Versa lids because it wears down the plastic after about a year (learned that lesson the hard way). 

Edited by Kathy F
  • Like 1

On 8/22/2021 at 2:19 PM, Kathy F said:

If empty I use 50/50 mix of water and white vinegar.  For filled tanks, I either use a magnet algae cleaner (for heavily planted tanks so I don't damage leaves or disturb plants), for tanks less heavily planted I prefer a handheld razer blade scraper because it is more effective and can get to more spots (just don't use it near the silicone).   For the outside and lids on filled tanks I use my 50/50 mix but be careful not to get the mix directly the plastic hinges on the Versa lids because it wears down the plastic after about a year (learned that lesson the hard way). 

Thank you! I'll try your mixture, I don't think I made mine strong enough!

On 8/22/2021 at 2:32 PM, David W said:

For green spot algae and other tough stuff, I use the plastic razor blades. There is much less risk of scratching glass and they are pretty inexpensive on Amazon. 

I'll look them up, I've never even heard of them! Thank you!

I use these outside I wet a corner with a bottle of distilled water so no minerals then wet the tank use dry portion to dry it. Comes out streak free and sparkles. It almost feels like thick paper at first they are wonderful  

B57AAE29-3469-487A-BA30-81847DC22C22.png

Edited by Guppysnail
  • Like 1

On 8/22/2021 at 2:57 PM, Guppysnail said:

I use these outside I wet a corner with a bottle of distilled water so no minerals then wet the tank use dry portion to dry it. Comes out streak free and sparkles. It almost feels like thick paper at first they are wonderful  

B57AAE29-3469-487A-BA30-81847DC22C22.png

Great! Thanks!!

• Like 1

Inside I use an algae sponge on a stick (bought it that way, can't remember what they called it or where I got it). On the outside, either a paper towel or regular towel and RO water in a spray bottle. I have used the vinegar method above for stubborn spots on my lid