Chasing a Ghost (Ammonia levels)

ThomasLC

In my tank I can never seem to get my Ammonia levels to zero.  Even after a 50% water change.  They seem to hover around .50PPM .  I have over kill filtration happening.  A Fluval 407 on a 60 gallon tank.  I large bubble sponge filter plus I put the large course sponge over the intake for the 407.  The 407 has Bio Media rings as well as a basket of Biohome.  So it goes through the large sponges first.  A medium then a find sponge, a basket of Fluval Bio media rings, a basket of Biohome Ultimate and the final basket has a bit of pumice and some Purigen. 

I have the filter just under level with the tank to optimize outflow  so the pump doesn't have to push UP the water as far.

I have 3" of Eco-Complete substraight. (about a month old)

The fish show no signs of stress.  They eat with vigor as each meal will be their last.  They do the nice swimming around and normal fish activities.  

I think trying to get that perfect zero PPM Ammonia is chasing a ghost.  

I do 50% water changes every other day.  There are no blooms of any kind and the water is crystal clear.

Is this all good?  I sometimes feel the test are a bit skewed to get you to buy/use the also sold chemicals. 

Do you have any plants in your tank? They help absorb ammonium, especially if they are plants like java moss, java fern or anubias which pull nutrients directly from the water column.  Floating plants work too. However having .5 PPM of ammonia is not harmful for the fish. It really hard to get rid of all the ammonium unless you have an a lot of plants and understocked tank. I wouldn't worry about that little ammonia in the water, just get some plants to help you as they are filter the water themselves. 

• Like 1

Started the fishless cycle to boot the tank in May, did not add fish till mid June. However after the first month I changed gravel then after the second month I changed gravel again....

Using API Master test kit and just recently also double checking with SJ Wave Test strips.

Definitely put plants to work. I know we talk a lot about plants for nitrates here, but if I remember right, plants only take the nitrate after they've run out of yummy ammonia. (Somebody correct me if I'm wrong.)

As for how toxic ammonia is, it gets worse with higher pH. If your pH is low, .5 ammonia might be okay. But if your pH is high, probably not.

Also, test your tap water for ammonia. If it turns out to have much, then at least you'll know what the problem is.

If you use prime it sometimes does show as minor ammonia light lime green on api.   I got the seachem reactive agent test to verify once and there was no ammonia.  I’ve read some things confirming the chemical reaction with certain reagents. I’m not a chem sciency person so don’t remember the reactive agent test that does work correctly but seachems does it’s just a pain to me so the light lime green has always been my good to go indicator. If it gets actual green I know there is ammonia.

Also check your water before you put any chemicals in it.  If you start with ammonia from your the tap the ammonia may actually be higher in the aquarium from water changes.  I think of this every time since my tap water has 0.25 ppm to 1 ppm ammonia in it before I do anything to it and the planted aquarium cleans up the water after I add it 🙂