Betta in community tank

RyanU

I've had pretty good luck with bettas in communities so far. I have a female in a 29 gallon with a bunch of tetras, rasboras, and cories as well as a male with some ember tetras and shrimp in a 14 gallon. No issues from either, but neither one appeared to be a particularly aggressive specimen. They are very curious fish, so they will probably chase any new tank mates around, but it seems more like they are just trying to get a good look at them, no flaring or anything-then after a while it becomes normal and they ignore their roomies. Your mileage may vary though, depending on how aggressive your betta seems to be. 

• Like 1

If it doesn't work inititally, you can try again in time. Often bettas become more docile the older they get (I guess like most of us).  

In my own experience, I find also using a betta mirror about 5 to 10 minutes a day helps to keep aggression down and provides great exercise for the betta in a community setting.

• Like 1

Because bettas are curious, I prefer having them in a community tank with the types of fish you mentioned. My boy checked out the whole planted tank going in and out of plants and driftwood. He would flare sometimes, but it wasn’t a problem. I ended up giving him away because my cherry shrimp were breeding and I was just getting the colony started. If the betta has to be alone I would rather have a betta in a larger tank with lots of plants and wood to keep them thinking. 

cheers, Nanci