When do Angelfish reach breeding age.

Tanked

I have two angels that were moved into the community tank almost a year ago.  I'm guessing that they are about two years old.  Aggression from the larger of the two pretty much ceased when they got to their new home.  Last night, the smaller angel was for lack of a better description twitchy, whenever another fish was nearby.  The tank has a large resin tree stump with exposed roots in the center.  Tonight both of the angels seem to have taken the underside of the stump as their own, challenging all comers.  They are not the biggest fish in the community.  This behavior stops at feeding time. Am I seeing: the beginning of breeding behavior, has it already happened, or is something else happening.

Angelfish reach maturity at anywhere from 9 - 12 months and can lay eggs every 8-10 days, once they reach the age of 3 frequency decreases until it eventually stops. So since you are guessing they are about 2 years old, they are in their prime and they are most likely prepping for new additions to the tank. Congratulations, you might be expecting!😁

• Like 2

On 7/24/2021 at 1:10 AM, Jungle Fan said:

they are most likely prepping for new additions to the tank. Congratulations, you might be expecting!😁

Did not see this one coming.  To paraphrase Richard from the Blue Lagoon:  What'd you go and have babies for?   

If they are  breeding pair, than I guess the 10gl. project tank will get it's first two residents, and might become a nursery.

• Like 2

Its official, they are a breeding pair.  I don't know when the eggs were laid, but with the aid of a flashlight I found them last night, high on the inside of the stump. Unfortunately I may have to let nature make all of the decisions this time around.  Based on the video below, The parents are probably just over one year old, so this was their first spawning, and the eggs will probably begin hatching any moment.

If you can stand listening to Mr. Rogers for 40 minutes, I did find an informative video on angelfish breeding.

• Like 1

On 7/25/2021 at 8:33 PM, s1_ said:

That channel "the Dave" makes excellent videos 

The fish had already done it their way, so It was too late for me to use most of the information.  It was good to see a video actually demonstrating what the narrator was talking about, and the fish had more screen time than the narrator.  I will check out the channel.