I'm getting my first-ever shrimp this weekend! 🙂 

They're juvenile neocaridina. I'll be dividing them into 2 tanks, in case 1 tank has a problem I can't detect.

I've got all my ducks in a row, with 1 exception. I don't understand how concerned I should be about GH. Currently, 1 tank has GH 13, and the other is GH 19.

Good? Bad? Why? 

Edited by CalmedByFish

I know of one online retailer that publishes their parameters and they keep/breed them in up to 15gh.  I suspect you're fine.  The internet says lower than that is optimal but I suspect, as with most fish too, that stable is all you need.

Why?  No idea.  I know at really low gh (like 0 or 1) there's issues with a lot of fish because they need some amount of Mg and Ca for their cells to work right.   shrimp also need calcium for their exoskeleton.  they can get that from food though if they're getting food with calcium.  (my theory is that fish poop from baby brine shrimp is a great source for shrimp)

As long as they have some calcium and some magnesium they adjust. The key is what they ere raised in. The transition is the hardest. I ordered from a reputable breeder but on the other coast and they fell apart in my hard water local bred preformed like champs in the same tank. I don’t know all the scientific stuff just what I have observed in my own tanks. 

This is really helpful. Thank you! I brought the 19 down to 15, so now the tanks are GH 13 and 15. I also asked the current owner what GH these ones are used to, to make sure I don't need to adjust further.

@CT_, if you happen to be referring to the guy I'll just call Rob, I actually emailed them once about a personal matter I thought we might connect on. SUCH sweet people!

On 7/23/2021 at 12:59 PM, CalmedByFish said:

@CT_, if you happen to be referring to the guy I'll just call Rob, I actually emailed them once about a personal matter I thought we might connect on. SUCH sweet people!

yes indeed 😉

• Like 1