Lowering ph in a planted 5gal tank

Jennibird

So, my tap water has a PH of 8.0. My betta and snails seem ok, but the neo shimp that have been in for many months (since Dec 2020) have gone from 11-13 to just 2 in the last 2 weeks. No bodies except 1 I found behind the tank (I assumed the mystery snail is eating them before I see a body, until I found the dried up shrimpie behind the tank). Now, I don't know if they are crawling out and dieing or dieing and being eaten. I thought I should try to address the PH in case that is why they are dieing or crawling out (ammonia, nitrates, nitrites all 0, tank has been cycled for almost a year). I bought some Seachem Acid Buffer, but I am nervous of using it. I have a planted tank btw, plants are all alive and ok, but not thriving, and growing extremely slowly. Any suggestions on how to safely use the buffer and get my 5gal back to a safer ph. Looking to get the ph closer to 7.2-7.4

I would be nervous too adding a buffer like that because it's not a long term solution. What about the other ways of lowering ph? They also happen to be good for shrimp, driftwood, indian almond leaves or similar, something with tannins that will naturally lower it and also be beneficial for the tank overall. 

• Like 4

Neocardina shrimp should be fine at 8.0 in my opinion and the important thing with them is just stability, it doesn't really matter where their ph is as long as it is stable and they get calcium they should be happy. But if you want to lower ph I would suggest adding some type of leaf or wood or your liking.

• Like 2

On 7/3/2021 at 11:56 PM, Jennifer said:
So, my tap water has a PH of 8.0. My betta and snails seem ok, but the neo shimp that have been in for many months (since Dec 2020) have gone from 11-13 to just 2 in the last 2 weeks. No bodies except 1 I found behind the tank (I assumed the mystery snail is eating them before I see a body, until I found the dried up shrimpie behind the tank). Now, I don't know if they are crawling out and dieing or dieing and being eaten. I thought I should try to address the PH in case that is why they are dieing or crawling out (ammonia, nitrates, nitrites all 0, tank has been cycled for almost a year). I bought some Seachem Acid Buffer, but I am nervous of using it. I have a planted tank btw, plants are all alive and ok, but not thriving, and growing extremely slowly. Any suggestions on how to safely use the buffer and get my 5gal back to a safer ph. Looking to get the ph closer to 7.2-7.4

Personally, I'd stay away from adjusting water with pH up or down. Neocaridina groups sometimes just crash. I put 30+ in a tank this spring, and they all vanished into thin air by summer. I have no explanations. It just happens sometimes. Other tanks are crawling with them all over the place. Best tanks for shrimp seem to be left alone. 

• Like 2

You would want to test GH and KH, if they are high, you would then cut the tank water with RO water. 

Seachem acid buffer works by depleting KH. Lower KH means lower pH. Leaves and wood and tannins have very little effect on KH short term.

Screenshot_20210112-163504.png

On 7/3/2021 at 10:56 PM, Jennifer said:

That's my pH too. I don't adjust. I also had a few losses recently after I replanted some stuff. Some just don't make it. What temp are you keeping them at?

On 7/3/2021 at 10:49 PM, Mmiller2001 said:

Seachem acid buffer works by depleting KH. Lower KH means lower pH. Leaves and wood and tannins have very little effect on KH short term.

CO2, bicarbonate, and carbonate ratios are kinetically tied to pH.  Any way you lower pH you'll lower carbonates too. :/

1280px-Carbonate_system_of_seawater.svg.

I've heard Cory say he doesn't think things like leaves change ph much.  I've only used catapa once though (with no change), so I don't have personal experience to draw from.

I think if you really want to adjusting your pH down is okay as long as you go slow and careful with lots of testing.  You'll also have to either do small water changes or preadjust it in a very consistent way.  It definitely does go against the "easy fish keeping" paradigm though.

• Like 1