My Favorite Tank to Water Change

Fish Folk

I am a “water changer.” I know there’s healthy discussions about the subject, but I don’t mind passively admitting that I do change water on most tanks.

But I if I’m honest, it’s really a chore more than a joy in the hobby. I do it... but often wish I didn’t feel the need to.

Except with this tank. This is so much fun to water change! I love watching these fish color up!

• Like 10

On 6/28/2021 at 6:46 PM, xXInkedPhoenixX said:

😍 Beautiful fish!!! I actually don't mind changing water but I only do small water changes, mostly to vacuum up left over foods from the Otos/Mystery snails. My fish love to play in the water stream when I put more back in, they seem to really enjoy it. 

My betta loves to play in the water stream too, we call it his "shower time".  My mystery snail, Fred, on the other hand, acts like Chicken Little when you add water back to the tank (the sky is falling, the sky is falling).  He is overly dramatic and acts like it is torture unless we drip add it back in so slowly he doesn't notice lol

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

One of my favorite tanks on the forum! In fact it’s my favorite one that doesn’t house a Featherfin Catfish😀

I was a “water changer” until folks on the forum taught me about balancing and stuff like that. Now it’s a fun challenge to go as long as I can without changing water. 

Edited by Patrick_G
  • Like 3

On 6/28/2021 at 7:01 PM, xXInkedPhoenixX said:

@TheCzarista That's funny, Fred is quite the Diva. My Mystery snails don't seem to mind it but it is a 20 gallon so they're never in the direct stream. Sometimes they like to hang out at the rim when there's a short opportunity for no water. My nerites do it too, silly things. 

I told @GameCzarthat I picture him running around with his tentacles waving going "OH NOES!!" everytime.   He doesn't get in the stream at all, but he doesn't like the new water changes at all either.  His big thing is temperature, so I either have to leave the water sitting out for hours to let it be the exact same temp as his water, or I can drip add it so it doesn't shock him.

Seriously, the first time I just poured water back in his tank, I thought I had killed him.  Diva? Definitely

Fred on rock.jpg

• Love 1

@Patrick_G I appreciate the goal and to be honest, my tanks would be fine- but I like the tinkering- it's part of the hobby I enjoy. I guess that's why fish keeping is a great hobby. You can have your own style and learn about others! It's like a car show, everyone has a cool car!

@TheCzarista Ahhhh, I get it, and I don't blame him- I hate temperature changes too. I actually fill one gallon water jugs, treat them and leave them out overnight. I have about 9 of them in rotation, so they are all the temperature of the room the tanks are in- maybe that's why my fish don't mind. It's the easiest way for me to do it in my set up at home. It gives me a task to do and I get to see positive results at the end- something I'm sure we all still need. Doesn't take me long either, and I get to spend time with my fish friends. I only do it about 1x a week if that and only to clean up after my piggie fish and snails...today's water change was only a little over a gallon. Not much in a 20. 

Edited by xXInkedPhoenixX
to clarify
  • Like 1