Vinegar as a non-bleach disinfectant to clean QT tanks?

Nanci B

So, as the title states, what do people think of using vinegar as a disinfectant for QT tanks and other equipment like nets, heaters ?

I ask because I am not a fan of bleach at all. I’m really sensitive to the smell and I will be cleaning this 20 gallon tank inside on its stand. So no running water to get a really good rinse. 

Thoughts?

PS, I am having a tough time figuring out how to reply to messages, so please know that I appreciate all comments. 

image.png.1791bca35dd73b4eb939f640f813d780.png

Hitting the quote button or just typing in the reply box is a good start.

Vinegar and salt (separately) are good for scrubbing out aquariums. I don't use them personally because typically I would like the bacteria clinging to the inside of the aquarium to survive and help repopulate the next I use the aquarium (it is however very difficult to kill bacteria). Opinions vary widely on this but I don't disinfect equipment like nets or heaters either.

• Like 1

A 1:1 dilution of distilled white vinegar and water can be used as a disinfectant.

I don't disinfect anything specific to any given tank, but do disinfect "shared" items - such as nets.  

But I prefer 90% isopropyl alcohol, in a spray bottle, for this job.  For disinfection of plants, I use hydrogen peroxide.

I never use a solution containing bleach for anything, like yourself - I'm not a fan.

On a semi-related note, I use a mixture of 4oz white vinegar, 4oz RO or distilled water, 1oz isopropyl alcohol and a drop of original Dawn dishwashing liquid (the plain kind, no anti-bacterial!) for cleaning exterior aquarium glass.

Edited by tonyjuliano
  • Like 2

Since this is for cleaning a used quarantine tank that I need to use again (of course later today 🙄) I believe I do need to clean it and the heater I am putting in it. I finally have an seeded sponge filter so that will help. 

• Like 1

Depending on the task I’ve used H2O2, Vinegar, Baking Soda, and aquarium salt depending on what I need. Stubborn calcium plaques in the glass I try a little baking soda after the vinegar, and worst case a little salt as a harsher abrasive. I use vinegar as my go to everyday cleaner, if I’m really worried there might be something funky going on I use some H2O2. Only If I’ve had a plague in a tank Have I done bleach for 10 minutes, then dechlorinator, then rinse until I can’t smell bleach usually 3 to 4 rinse and soaks. Not too long ago @Corydiscussed this. Then air dry and put it out in the sun to get some UV on it.

On 6/23/2021 at 10:03 AM, eatyourpeas said:

H2O2 is my go-to cleaning agent. I then let everything sit overnight so any residue just disappears.

What is the recipe for H2O2? And steps of procedure?

I am moving my copper betta from one tank to another. New (old) tank inhabitants were moved to my community and he's too fiesty to be with any other fish. No disease in new tank just wanna sanitize to be cautious and for cleanliness. 

On 6/23/2021 at 8:28 AM, tonyjuliano said:

A 1:1 dilution of distilled white vinegar and water can be used as a disinfectant.

What are you recommended steps of procedure for this method? Do you make the solution and spray or fill the entire tank with 1:1 ? 

TIA 

On 6/23/2021 at 1:54 PM, SkarahW said:

What are you recommended steps of procedure for this method? Do you make the solution and spray or fill the entire tank with 1:1 ? 

TIA 

Mixing an amount of the solution, and then using it to wipe down or spray bottle is how I do it.  No need to fill the tank!

• Like 1

On 6/23/2021 at 11:22 AM, Beardedbillygoat1975 said:

@tonyjulianothanks for the tip on the isopropyl alcohol! 

One quick suggestion- When purchasing isopropyl alcohol, always double check for any other additives.  Products sold as rubbing alcohol almost always have skin softening additives like Lanolin added to them as well (which can leave a lacquer type coating on surfaces after the alcohol evaporates).   

• Like 1

On 6/23/2021 at 8:02 PM, NanoNano said:

One quick suggestion- When purchasing isopropyl alcohol, always double check for any other additives.  Products sold as rubbing alcohol almost always have skin softening additives like Lanolin added to them as well (which can leave a lacquer type coating on surfaces after the alcohol evaporates).   

Which is why I specified 90% isopropyl, it contains no additives.  Most common is 70%, which isn’t good enough.

Interesting fact…. It is pretty much impossible to produce 100% alcohol, in either isopropyl or ethyl (liquor) forms.  90-95% is as “pure” as it gets (in either case).

Edited by tonyjuliano