Axolotl tank mates

Chiclid addict

So I know axolotls are really meant to have tank mates but I just started my Axolotls new  40b and since he’s a baby ish I would like to know if I could try a small school or something else also @Lifeisgood I’m @ you because you helped me a lot when I was getting mine and I know you have them so I was wondering if you know at all

Edited by Angelfishlover

Haha, I was just doing some research on this topic. Generally, people don’t recommend keeping axolotls with anything else, but as Cory says, anything can be done with enough time, effort, and money. 

Disclaimer: none of these are 100% guaranteed compatibility, they are kind of a try at your own risk. Axolotls will just bite at things that move and will eat anything it can fit in its mouth. 

1) Other axolotls are possible, but they MUST be of the same size. If one is larger than the other, it will probably eat it. Now, this may also not always work out since they can take chunks or limbs off each other. 

2) White cloud minnows. These are cold tolerant and are USUALLY fast enough to dodge your axolotl, but even if they wind up being a snack, they are not toxic or anything. Any fish that are quick and cold tolerant would do the trick, zebra danios are super hardy, but I would not advise goldfish since they get quite large, they can hog the food, and they can either harm or harass the axolotl until it stops eating. 

3) Large snails like Japanese trapdoor snails or large mystery snails. Get ones that are big enough that can’t be accidentally swallowed. 

My advice is to first determine how you want to set up the tank with your current livestock before adding anything else. For example, are you going to keep it bare bottom or on sand? Do you want to include any live plants like Marimo balls or something above the tank like pothos? Giving them some cover can be beneficial, etc. 

Here's my question. If you got an iguana would you put a gecko in the same tank with it? I feel like if Axolotis are more commonly than not (personally all the video I've seen on them they are solo) kept alone why try? I mean unless you want to risk maiming another animal (I'm being graphic but if it happened it would be graphic). People use feeder fish all the time or give live mice to reptiles- but that's a route some of us choose not to go- however it sounds like you'd prefer they stay alive, hence "tank mates". I think Axolotis are so interesting by themselves tankmates are unecessary. Unless you have somewhere you can quickly move an animal that's not doing well in that tank. As @AnimalNerd98 said it's even a risk to put another Axolotis in the tank with them- that is already a no go to me. I think Axolotis tanks can be some of the coolest tanks in the hobby if you create a beautiful environment for the animal a single animal is all the tank will really need. But this is only my opinion. 

It looks like everything that has needed to be said was said.  My Axolotls were old enough to be sexed (about a year) before I put them in a tank together.  They seem to get a little smarter about not biting each other when they “grow up”.  Similar size is important.  Hornwort and anubias work well.  You probably could get away with white clouds or zebra danios if your 40 gallon is filled with water to capacity.  Would your show a picture of your set up so far?  I would love to see it.😊

Hello all thanks for your help I have Decided no tank mates for now also @Lifeisgoodthis is all I have for now I re read my original post and it kinda sounded like I was already fully done with it but the tank is still cycling I don’t even have my filters in yet and the sand hasn’t settled also bonus pic of the axolotl will be posted when I can get a good pic

image.jpg

Edited by Angelfishlover
  • Like 1

On 6/20/2021 at 6:33 PM, Angelfishlover said:

Hello all thanks for your help I have Decided no tank mates for now also @Lifeisgoodthis is all I have for now I re read my original post and it kinda sounded like I was already fully done with it but the tank is still cycling I don’t even have my filters in yet and the sand hasn’t settled also bonus pic of the axolotl will be posted when I can get a good pic

image.jpg

I am sure you know plants help with the cycle.  I put in used sponge squeezings and lots of hornwort.  I think they feel more secure with it floating overhead.  Looking forward to seeing how big he/she is.

• 1 month later...