Best floating plant for beginner

On 6/13/2021 at 4:55 PM, Just Renee said:

Since my red root floaters are struggling to really take off in my tank, I am doing an experiment.  I have some in a clear tupperwear type bowl in a window with good light, I've had that going for about a week and they look super happy there, much happier than in my tank.  I also set up a bucket outside in full sun to see if it likes my extreme heat and heavy duty killer sun (I live in Southern AZ, we're 107 today, so yay).  I'm curious to see how it does, I doubt the bucket will work out because it is just soooo hot and the sun is sooo intense but that's the point of the experiment... maybe it will thrive.  

Just updating, in case anyone is interested.  I am very surprised, but the red root floaters outside in the bucket are going bananas.  It was 114 today and I have them in full on nuclear sun.  So, they are very sensitive to any type of water movement but you can pretty much boil them alive and they are fine as long as they are getting good light and no water movement.  Imma set up a rubber maid container to grow a bunch and see if my local pet store wants to buy some when I take in some guppy fry.  The frogbit I ended up caving and buying totally fried in transit and none survived.  I knew I should have waited but I apparently like setting money on fire.

• Like 1

@Just Reneevery interesting! I'll have to try that. My red roots do ok, they just don't explode (which frankly is fine for the tank they're in, but there's a lot of surface agitation in that tank). I put some of mine in my Mum's 3 gallon African Dwarf Frog tank and within a month she's got HUNDREDS of new baby red roots- low aggitation. I'm going to see if I can propagate some outside! It was 113 here today! 

On 6/18/2021 at 10:45 PM, xXInkedPhoenixX said:

@Just Reneevery interesting! I'll have to try that. My red roots do ok, they just don't explode (which frankly is fine for the tank they're in, but there's a lot of surface agitation in that tank). I put some of mine in my Mum's 3 gallon African Dwarf Frog tank and within a month she's got HUNDREDS of new baby red roots- low aggitation. I'm going to see if I can propagate some outside! It was 113 here today! 

Oh hey, I guess you're in Phoenix?  I'm in Tucson!  Stay inside and cool, friend!

I think anacharis elodea would look unique in that setup. When they float the “roots” are not dense but get very long. The way they grow it does not choke the light from the lower plants. 

i dont have any floating right now but last week i pulled this trimmed the roots a bit and stuck it to the wall...lol

just wanted you to see the roots

image.jpg

D5555539-F0BD-4778-9B2B-6D6F1394141F.jpeg

Edited by Guppysnail