My first Forum/group/club/ experience. Hello!

MAC

Since I owe the rapid acceleration of my fish hobby to Aquarium Co-op it is only fitting that my first experience with any sort of forum, or group, or club, or really anything outside my own abode is here. Hello!

The past two years of my life has seen dramatic change in lifestyle and with more time at home and settling in my hobby has exploded. Aside from a four year stint in the military, I have had some sort of aquarium for well over 20 years. I even maintained a 29g community tank while living without running water in a cabin in Alaska. However I was very still very much a novice, casual fish keeper with a tank or two who knew enough to change water and keep fish alive and that was enough. But now, things are different. I hope to use this forum and community to break out of my shell a bit and interact with other fish keepers. Together with my girlfriend we have amassed 20+ aquariums in our two bedroom apartment and it only feels natural that at this point its time to put myself out there a little bit to learn from others, get help when needed, and share my missteps as I have definitely learned a few lessons the hard way (convict cichlid fry, anyone?). I think more so though, when I look around and see at least one aquarium in every room of the house, I want to know people just as crazy about this hobby as we are!

At the moment, many of my tanks are mixed bags of the standard fare "beginner" fish that one purchases when just starting out like guppies, platy's and tetras along with a few early impulse buys that have dictated stocking and tank options--an awesome, personable sengal bichir named "Monster" and a very special, very derp, petco rescued electric blue Jack Dempsey. Although I do keep a couple less common West African species I hope to widen my experience with more and more amazing fish species as our hobby evolves and very much am interested in keeping species for conservation that are rare or threatened. 

I am not sure what else to say for an introduction, interested to see where this goes and hope to share this awesome hobby with people who are like minded. Thanks all, be well. 

MAC 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Thanks @Paul, @Rikostan, @Streetwiseand @Alison -I have a pair of f. gardneri killis that are producing lots of eggs. 

Ive been checking out all the different projects people have going on. Ive been thinking about starting a topic/post/journal that follows what I have going on with all my tanks. Its nothing super exciting, but I think it might allow for some feedback on to things I can improve or some tricks I'm missing out on. We'll see. 

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, MAC said:

Thanks @Paul, @Rikostan, @Streetwiseand @Alison -I have a pair of f. gardneri killis that are producing lots of eggs. 

Ive been checking out all the different projects people have going on. Ive been thinking about starting a topic/post/journal that follows what I have going on with all my tanks. Its nothing super exciting, but I think it might allow for some feedback on to things I can improve or some tricks I'm missing out on. We'll see. 

I'm a pretty big newbie, but I did the same thing. I thought I might gather some tips along the way or even help a few other newbies, so i started a thread about my very first 55 gallon tank ever.

I bet a lot of people would be interested in your thread!

1 hour ago, MAC said:

I would enjoy reading this journal.