Can you see the bottom of your tank?

If you have one of those metal frame stands, or can otherwise see the bottom of your tank, take a pic and post it. Is it spotless, gravel-vacced thoroughly every week, with a low stock of fish, very light feeding?

Or does it look like my live-bearer colony tank that's never been gravel vacced?

633445981_bottomoftank1.jpg.8cfa600bb3565bafcd647ee5b9b68668.jpg

83150517_bottomoftank2.jpg.d3db9665f66c33dc0b561716c1ae9697.jpg

Yummy

• Like 2

After some quick searching it could be (not an expert here) a form of methane consuming bacterium. Which sort of makes sense if it is growing at the bottom of undisturbed subtrate. Apparently a form of this is commonly found in pool filter equipment and is highly resistant to treatment. It doesn't sound like it is dangerous just not visually appealing...makes me want to be able to see the bottom of my tanks now lol

Edited by Travis
  • Like 1

34 minutes ago, Travis said:

After some quick searching it could be (not an expert here) a form of methane consuming bacterium. Which sort of makes sense if it is growing at the bottom of undisturbed subtrate. Apparently a form of this is commonly found in pool filter equipment and is highly resistant to treatment. It doesn't sound like it is dangerous just not visually appealing...makes me want to be able to see the bottom of my tanks now lol

Ooo, that's neat!

got to be honest, i have never even thought about looking at the bottom of a tank, but.. this made me curious so i crawled under the 120. happy to report, looks clean and the only thing to be seen other than gravel are tons of crypt roots. amazing how far the roots on the crypts go. some being well over a foot long.

Edited by lefty o