Short body white cloud?

• Administrators

The coloration is great. However I don't think the general public would notice enough of a difference. I gotta get some of your line of white clouds, the normal ones are gorgeous 😄

39 minutes ago, Cory said:

The coloration is great. However I don't think the general public would notice enough of a difference. I gotta get some of your line of white clouds, the normal ones are gorgeous 😄

My Facebook group seem to like the idea of short body, may try it a few generation till I run out of space and scrape the whole project lol

I can breed you some if you are interested, it won't be till a while tho. These are my young breeding males. Goal is to have a rich yellow body, red fin, yellowtips, and a strong red lateral line.

20210201_222008.jpg.0145314a5aa632594054ec1d2b7bf9de.jpg

• Like 7

The challenge with the "short-body" trend is that we're likely to see the same issues we see in exotic goldfish with swim bladder/digestive issues as the fish mature. A very significant percentage of exotic goldfish (the original short-bodied fish) develop swim bladder issues and other issues due to body compression. I'm not sure we've learned the lesson that distorting fish beyond certain parameters is unwise.

Asian breeders (and others) are now creating short-body versions of many tropical fish and my gut says it's a bad idea. Instead of learning from the generations of deformed goldfish, we're repeating the same mistakes only now with tropical fish. At this point the shorter the body, the higher the price, and the more desirable the fish is to those looking for short-body fish.  I just don't think the short-body trend is wise for the fish or aquarist. Goldfish were hardy, largely indestructible fish in their original form. Fancy goldfish with their compressed bodies are anything but hardy and indestructible these days.  They've been selectively bred to fit a certain profile rather than to be hardy and healthy.

Is there a market for short-body fish? Absolutely! Is it good for the fish? Not likely. Fish that a few years ago would have been culled are now being selectively bred to pass on their deformity. And the greater the deformity the more valued the fish are. It's just a trend that strikes me as a bad idea. There is a market for them though. I just don't think it's the right direction for the hobby. I'd rather see fish being bred to be hardier, healthier, and longer lived. I don't think selectively breeding for the short-body trait gives you any of those three things. It certainly hasn't in fancy goldfish. That's my two cents on the whole short-body issue. I cringe when I see the balloon mollies. Some of them can barely swim. It's not a trend that I think is wise. But there is a market for the short-bodied fish.

2 hours ago, gardenman said:

The challenge with the "short-body" trend is that we're likely to see the same issues we see in exotic goldfish with swim bladder/digestive issues as the fish mature. A very significant percentage of exotic goldfish (the original short-bodied fish) develop swim bladder issues and other issues due to body compression. I'm not sure we've learned the lesson that distorting fish beyond certain parameters is unwise.

Asian breeders (and others) are now creating short-body versions of many tropical fish and my gut says it's a bad idea. Instead of learning from the generations of deformed goldfish, we're repeating the same mistakes only now with tropical fish. At this point the shorter the body, the higher the price, and the more desirable the fish is to those looking for short-body fish.  I just don't think the short-body trend is wise for the fish or aquarist. Goldfish were hardy, largely indestructible fish in their original form. Fancy goldfish with their compressed bodies are anything but hardy and indestructible these days.  They've been selectively bred to fit a certain profile rather than to be hardy and healthy.

Is there a market for short-body fish? Absolutely! Is it good for the fish? Not likely. Fish that a few years ago would have been culled are now being selectively bred to pass on their deformity. And the greater the deformity the more valued the fish are. It's just a trend that strikes me as a bad idea. There is a market for them though. I just don't think it's the right direction for the hobby. I'd rather see fish being bred to be hardier, healthier, and longer lived. I don't think selectively breeding for the short-body trait gives you any of those three things. It certainly hasn't in fancy goldfish. That's my two cents on the whole short-body issue. I cringe when I see the balloon mollies. Some of them can barely swim. It's not a trend that I think is wise. But there is a market for the short-bodied fish.

Yes I know the problem with short body too well, but I dont plan to go that far.

My goal is to make white cloud as popular as guppy, with that being said they need variety, something for everyone. I'm a firm believer in culling unhealthy fish from the breeding stock.

I never planned on getting rich off these fish or I would have went with guppies like everyone else lol. I just love the facts that whenever every fish die, white cloud will survive and thrive.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, H20CultureLabs said:

@WhitecloudDynastyI tried to get a picture of him, but my best male has a lot of these desirable characteristics. His red lateral line is difficult to see in this picture, but as you know, these fish are fast and difficult to photograph! 

20210419_155625.jpg

Looks great! 

Don't forget with every good male you have you need better females lol

20210418_002902.jpg.4690f012c0d66b94fb4fefa9845bce70.jpg

• Thanks 1