White Stuff

Could anyone please identify the white stuff recently appearing in my tank? Are there any known remedies?

It's currently concentrated where I feed, but it's spreading. 

I can easily remove it from the glass, but not from the substrate or rocks. It grows so quickly that I can almost watch it spread. 

Any help would be greatly appreciated. 

Parameters:

Temp: 74°F

Nitrate: 20ppm

General Hardness: 70ppm

Carbonate Hardness: 30ppm

PH: 7.2

20210407_080145.jpg

• Administrators

Looks like some type of fungus perhaps. How often is food left sitting not eaten? Is that picture just after feeding? I'd potentially try some ich x to fight off the fungus if it is that.

The fish generally do a good job of picking up fallen food. Today, they weren't interested, after yesterday's live baby brine shrimp. I picked up the food during cleaning. 

The fungus, or whatever, grows on the glass just as well as on the rocks and gravel. 

I have this exact same problem in my 10-gallon tank! My first guess is that perhaps the fish aren't eating all the live baby brine shrimp I feed every day, so there are leftovers in the substrate and then the fungus climbs upward from there. My second guess is that I have a lot of mulm buildup in that tank from the catappa leaves I keep adding to lower the pH. I haven't been adding as many leaves recently and I also did a lot of gravel vacuuming, and I noticed the fungus growth has decreased. Soooo, yeah... excess organics in the substrate of some sort is my current theory.

20210115_063858 Weird fungus.jpg

• Like 4

On 4/7/2021 at 4:37 PM, Irene said:

I have this exact same problem in my 10-gallon tank! My first guess is that perhaps the fish aren't eating all the live baby brine shrimp I feed every day, so there are leftovers in the substrate and then the fungus climbs upward from there. My second guess is that I have a lot of mulm buildup in that tank from the catappa leaves I keep adding to lower the pH. I haven't been adding as many leaves recently and I also did a lot of gravel vacuuming, and I noticed the fungus growth has decreased. Soooo, yeah... excess organics in the substrate of some sort is my current theory.

20210115_063858 Weird fungus.jpg

I can't wait for the "How to Get Rid Of" video.

42 minutes ago, Irene said:

@Frank No way! Did you stop feeding BBS? Something must have happened. Mine is still going strong...

Now that you mention it, no I didn't stop.  But, I'm being more careful about how much the fish get. Maybe that's it!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I am very curious about this also. I have a new 75g tank that I am currently cycling. I have some live plants and Eco-complete substrates. I do not have any fish and have not placed any food in the tank. The tank has been up for about a week and a half and I noticed a white substance floating in the water and on the intake tube. I watched Corey's video about heaters yesterday and moved my heater and when I did a huge cloud of white came off of the heater. I did take a filter out of my 5g tank and put it in this tank to help cycle. Is it possible that I brought this problem from one tank to another?