Tiny shrimp tank ideas?

CT_

So now that my shrimp (neos) are having babies I wanted to take some to work for fun.  I'm thinking of a tiny cube, like 3gallons.  My thinking was something minimal like a rock, on substrate with a slope back to front, 3 mariomo that I've had in a jar since January (not from petco) and maybe a poof of moss, some floaters like salvia and just enough light to keep the salvia and moss growing and taking nitrogen. 

With covid, I'm not at work every day so I'd probably aim for minimal water changes.  I have RO to top off.  I can add automatic feeding if needed. 

Does this sound like a reasonable plan?  Are there other considerations I'm missing?  What's a good tank to buy for this project?  What about heater yes or no (office 68-72F)?  Can I go filterless & airless? 

• Like 1

I think you'd be okay with no heat but I'd run  CoOp Nano Sponge Filter with the Nano USB Nano Air Pump. Although you would might okay without it, it is kind of small tank some biological filtration would probably help. I have hundreds of Cherry Shrimp in a 10 gallon but run both heat and sponge filters.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Patrick_G said:

I have shrimp in an Aqueon 3g cube with a coop nano filter, cheap clip light, rock and some plants. I’m just doing top offs and they seem to be doing great. 

Excellent! I'll follow your example 😉

4 hours ago, KBOzzie59 said:

As I recall Cory has wintered them over outside with ice covering the tote/pond.  

This is a good point.  I'll start without a heater and see how I do.  If they do bad I'll add one.  I'm starting with culls anyway.

• Like 1

Pico shrimp tanks are so much fun! I have two no-tech 2.5 gallon tanks with shrimp, with a third unit marinating algae for more shrimp.

41E18222-D77C-4E9F-BFED-4EA02F011BCC.jpeg.5c2e3f7e5248bd1658d6e03390771961.jpeg

As far as heaters, I have personally kept neo shrimp and white clouds down to 52F, and they can go colder. I currently only heat my Betta tank.

• Like 3