4E30E1E9-6C0F-444E-AEE4-9CB05875D8AA.jpeg.fe7b94742259d9de5d90fbdebb9e6359.jpegWhen Cory  tells you it’s a fast growing plant the first thing you should do is go by and ax😊 I bought five Hornwort plants about two weeks ago maybe. They were about 6 inches tall when I got them and they look nice and healthy packaging was beautiful no problem. the picture of them is in 180 gallon tank 24 inches high in two weeks Cody certainly knows what he’s talking about. Thanks 

PS; I buy everything at the aquarium co-op so I forgot that I didn’t get these plants from Aquarium coop : I don’t member where I got them, but Cory did tell me it was a great growing  plant. Thanks again Cory I 

Edited by Bill j
Forgot where I bought the plants.
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

14 hours ago, Bill j said:

They were about 6 inches tall when I got them and they look nice and healthy packaging was beautiful no problem. the picture of them is in 180 gallon tank 24 inches high in two weeks

Is your Hornwort rooted or just weighted down?  While I really like the diffused lighting produced by a floating Hornwort island,  I was actually looking for a background plant and the vertical growth that you have. My Hornwort never produced roots, and was eventually outperformed by the Elodea.

5 minutes ago, Tanked said:

Is your Hornwort rooted or just weighted down?  While I really like the diffused lighting produced by a floating Hornwort island,  I was actually looking for a background plant and the vertical growth that you have. My Hornwort never produced roots, and was eventually outperformed by the Elodea.

I've kept hornwort weighted down with plant weights. It won't grow roots, it only grows length from the bushy tips. I personally prefer how it looks weighted down vs. floating, the only downside is that maybe once every two weeks you need to pull it out and trim off the bottom for length control as well as for the fact that the weighted end will get mushy. 

PXL_20210318_153149213.jpg.ca101819c50c65d3e23f8347baa20d8e.jpg

• Like 4

5 hours ago, H.K.Luterman said:

I've kept hornwort weighted down with plant weights. It won't grow roots, it only grows length from the bushy tips. I personally prefer how it looks weighted down vs. floating, the only downside is that maybe once every two weeks you need to pull it out and trim off the bottom for length control as well as for the fact that the weighted end will get mushy. 

PXL_20210318_153149213.jpg.ca101819c50c65d3e23f8347baa20d8e.jpg

Your hornwort is so lush and full in both your tanks. I am jealous! 🤩 Do have any special tricks for getting them to grow so bushy? 

24 minutes ago, Anita said:

Your hornwort is so lush and full in both your tanks. I am jealous! 🤩 Do have any special tricks for getting them to grow so bushy? 

Keeping a steady supply of nitrates seems to make it happy. If it's starving it grows sparser and even drops needles. That tank usually has at least 20 ppm nitrates.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, H.K.Luterman said:

Keeping a steady supply of nitrates seems to make it happy. If it's starving it grows sparser and even drops needles. That tank usually has at least 20 ppm nitrates.

Thanks for the info. I have some hornwort in one tank, but it is not nearly as full looking. The bio-load is on the heavy side, so I expected the hornwort to respond to the higher nitrates (confirmed by water testing). But the branches just get longer, without sending out a lot of branches. They aren't dropping needles, so I know they aren't deficient, but the needles are much sparser than yours. Hmm... Thinking cap time. 

Just now, Anita said:

Thanks for the info. I have some hornwort in one tank, but it is not nearly as full looking. The bio-load is on the heavy side, so I expected the hornwort to respond to the higher nitrates (confirmed by water testing). But the branches just get longer, without sending out a lot of branches. They aren't dropping needles, so I know they aren't deficient, but the needles are much sparser than yours. Hmm... Thinking cap time. 

Hmm. Maybe it wants more light?

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, H.K.Luterman said:

Hmm. Maybe it wants more light?

That is definitely a possibility. I don't think I want more light because it is a low tech tank. Currently, the tank seems to be in a happy balance between plant vs algae growth. The hornwort is growing, so I really cannot complain. When the weather gets warm enough, all of the hornwort is going outside into the pond. And then it will grow like mad. 

So no worries, I was just curious. Thanks! 🥰

• Like 1

9 hours ago, H.K.Luterman said:

It is too late for my Hornwort, but that is good to know for future reference.  There might be a few pieces stuck in the Elodea or the HOB intake. I had a mass die off and the few pieces that I saved got loose and were eaten, or died while tubbing on the windowsill.