Is This Algae Something to be Worried About?

Recently got a 55 gallon set up and noticed some algae growth on the rocks. Is this anything to worry about? I recently picked up some snails, a clown pleco and Otos, but they haven't had a chance to start cleaning this up. Didn't know if this is normal algae growth or something to be worried about. 

PXL_20210328_193058351.jpg

PXL_20210328_141959429 (1).jpg

PXL_20210328_192951200.jpg

Edited by Jmhowe09
Added pictures.

That looks like cyanobacteria, which usually has to be treated with an antibiotic to clear it up. If it's just on that rock, though, you could take it out of the tank and scrub it off with a plastic bristle brush under tap water. Or, put the rock in a bucket and treat the bucket with erythromycin. Increasing the water flow on that spot in the tank may help it not return once you get it removed.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I'm with @H.K.Luterman on that one, if it is just on the rock take it out and scrub it off after treating it with hydrogen peroxide. But I would not place it back in the tank because if nothing else in your tank is affected it's likely something in  the rock could have attracted it. Don't expect your otos, or clown pleco to clean this up; no bristlenosed pleco, or any other algae eating living aquarium dweller will eat cyanobacteria. These two articles will give you some further info about what this is, and what your options are :

https://smartaquariumguide.com/blue-green-algae-cyanobacteria/

The second article is not from the aquarist's point of view but just to give you an idea that even the CDC is concerned with the effects of what some call 'blue green algae' but actually is cyanobacteria.

https://www.cdc.gov/habs/materials/factsheet-cyanobacterial-habs.html

Edited by Jungle Fan
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for the information! Would soaking them in a bleach solution work instead of hydrogen peroxide? I have some bleach on hand, but can pick up hydrogen peroxide if bIeach doesn't work. I have removed the rocks and am ready to treat them. 

10 minutes ago, Jmhowe09 said:

Thanks for the information! Would soaking them in a bleach solution work instead of hydrogen peroxide? I have some bleach on hand, but can pick up hydrogen peroxide if bIeach doesn't work. I have removed the rocks and am ready to treat them. 

Depending on how porous the rock is bleach can be absorbed by it, and even it is rinsed well possibly released over time if it is re-used in an aquarium again. Hydrogen peroxide will react with the water while rinsing and in contact with water turns into water itself over 48 hours. My preference would be the hydrogen peroxide that's why I also use it when I soak driftwood rather than boiling it which destroys its surface cell structure and let's it rot faster than it normally would. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Alternatively you can boil the rock as well if you have a large enough stock pot. Boiling it will safely kill a large number of microbes. If you do boil the rock you should put it in room temperature water and slowly bring it up to a boil. Boil it for about 30 minutes and remove from heat. Then let it naturally cool down, do not attempt to rapidly chill it as the temperature difference could cause it to crack. Once temperature has cooled down to where you can handle the rock with your bare hands i would set the rock out and let it continue to cool internally for another couple of hours as the center can and will retain heat better than the surface. I agree with @Jungle Fan that i would not use bleach on the rock. Hydrogen peroxide would be the preferred chemical here.