My first 30 Days

@xXInkedPhoenixX as far as residents go I added 10 cherry shrimp a few days ago and have 3 bladder snails (and eggs that indicate I'm on the eve of a snail explosion). 

I think I am going to stock glowlight tetras (not GLOlight) but @Daniel responded to one of my questions and put the Okefenokee Pygmy Sunfish on my radar. I'm now torn between a big-box store fish and a native fish. A pretty safe option vs. going advanced right out of the hopper. To protect me from myself I've decided I wont stock fish until the 60 day mark... 

Just looked up the Sunfish, they are soooo pretty- I'd have a hard time keeping them since they seem to require live food, but how tempting are those! It is hard not to be tempted to get those advanced fish isn't it? The first fish I ever REALLY wanted was a Purple Frilly Rhinopias. Though it would be AMAZING to have one, I'm glad I talked myself out of it- *I* probably wouldn't have done the fish justice out of the gate!

Edited by xXInkedPhoenixX
correct my typos!

6 hours ago, PlaneFishGuy said:

@xXInkedPhoenixX as far as residents go I added 10 cherry shrimp a few days ago and have 3 bladder snails (and eggs that indicate I'm on the eve of a snail explosion). 

I think I am going to stock glowlight tetras (not GLOlight) but @Daniel responded to one of my questions and put the Okefenokee Pygmy Sunfish on my radar. I'm now torn between a big-box store fish and a native fish. A pretty safe option vs. going advanced right out of the hopper. To protect me from myself I've decided I wont stock fish until the 60 day mark... 

Pygmy sunfish are really cool, but I wouldn't do them first. They are very hardy, but they are 'ambush hunters' meaning they stay stock still until they lunge for food. My wife used to call them the 'fish you never see'. Breeding time is awesome, but feeding time is everyday and that requires getting on the livefoods treadmill.

I have been trying to think of an analogy with a non-fish item like wine or food, but the best I can come up with is keyboards.

I am typing this post on a high end German keyboard with totally blank Cherry MX Blue mechanical key switches on factory lubricated stabilizers.

image.png.c48bf5c8f60f058bf3b2f31e9b51f422.png

But would I have wanted Das Keyboard as my first keyboard? It would have been frustrating and I wouldn't have appreciated its tactile feedback and audible clicky-clack. Start with something that will build your confidence and skill and then as you become more capable and discerning go for the more sophisticated challenges.

• Like 3

If you are interested in the Okefenokee pygmy sunfish (Elassoma okefenokee) or even better, the Gulf Coast pygmy sunfish (Elassoma gilberti), but worried about their feeding requirements, I have a suggestion if I may.  Look into the iridescent toothcarp (Aphanius mento).  The color patterns can be strikingly similar depending on the population source (most are Turkish sources of various locals).  They are also very hardy in terms of water parameters.  And best of all, they accept a much wider range of food types.  Much like the pygmy sunfish species, they are unlikely to be at your LFS, so you might have to contact a local killifish enthusiast group to find them.  The one down side of this as a substitute for the sunfish species is the males do not do the same specific display.  A display that is really quite interesting. 

*I recognize I have not yet introduced myself on the welcome page.  I apologize for the break in etiquette.  I will endeavor to do so soon.  In the meantime please accept this as my mea culpa

• Like 3

@Daniel I love that analogy! (nowadays the louder and more tactile my keys the better, I type for a living). This is exactly why I'm glad I never got that Rhinopias- more advanced and harder to feed. I could NEVER go on vacation. Though that whole "Otocinclus is an intermediate breeder..." thing really threw my easy level tank plans to the wayside....

• Like 1