Sand substrate

Tiffany

Lol, thank you.. I hope I can catch them from the qt tank..😬 Do you have any recommendations of types of sand?  I think I am going to have little islands for them to hop back and forth to. I am also thinking about putting some of my plants in pots. 

If you have a hardware store nearby, you can't beat pool filter sand/play sand. It's about $5-10 for a 50lb bag. Just make sure to rinse it well before adding to the aquarium so that you're able to separate the fine particles that will cloud your water.

Cory mentioned a trick for catching them at around 2:35 in this video.   He suggests fine sand that can sift through your net or luring them into a cave so that you can just remove the cave.   Another suggestion might be to leave the net in the tank and bait it with something they love...then sneak in and scoop them out while they're in the net.

Tiffany, another option if you are looking for a different color is black blasting sand, which is particles of coal slag.  I got mine from Tractor Supply store for $9 for a 50 lb bag.  Others who know more may disagree if this is too coarse for the loaches, but my fish seem to love it, and others told me they've had no problems.

Black diamond blasting sand (BDBS) from Tractor Supply is a great cheap option for a sand substrate. Probably THE cheapest substrate for black sand out there.

I have kept numerous kuhlis (and corydoras, and other loaches) on it for years. They do great on it. Here's  some pics of 'em on BDBS.

Screenshot_2017-10-14-14-27-28.png.7b3c92d10c1d593324ea901d4b37c31f.pngScreenshot_2017-10-14-14-28-59.png.ddbb27fd967fe195424af57e8bc6b49a.pngScreenshot_2017-10-15-22-37-36.png.74d9a6391010a100f4911bf290f89ca0.png

12 hours ago, Nataku said:

Black diamond blasting sand (BDBS) from Tractor Supply is a great cheap option for a sand substrate. Probably THE cheapest substrate for black sand out there.

Did you use "fine" or "medium" black diamond blasting sand? My TSC has both.

4 hours ago, akconklin said:

Did you use "fine" or "medium" black diamond blasting sand? My TSC has both.

I'll  check the bag when I get back home, I still have a partial bag sitting in the stand of one of my tanks. They usually just have a marker line through several of the grades to indicate what all is in the bag.

• Thanks 1

I use both the fine (red bag) and medium (black bag) black diamond blasting medium in my tanks with no rhyme or reason as to why. I do prefer the fine for capping re-mineralized top soil tanks. The fine is the size of fine sand and the medium is small gravel size. They will both need to be washed very well. See below for pictures of both. 

EBEC7242-ECF7-400B-BD85-C6CCFC267C2A.jpeg

2C514818-9EC5-4109-9C69-F770CDBA0092.jpeg

• Thanks 1

• 1 year later...

I am using play sand and finding it pretty easy to clean and maintain.  If an area starts looking less than great (I have Fluval Stratum under sand in the planted areas) I vacuum out a bunch of sand, and use a funnel and hose to replace it with clean dry sand.  That keeps the Stratum covered, as it tries to work itself to the surface.  In the unplanted foreground is just sand, so it is much easier to mainain.   My cories love the play sand, and I love the little nose trails they leave all over it.