Sera o-nip tabs

FishyJames

34 minutes ago, Jungle Fan said:

The new tabs fall apart easier and are a lot messier.

See this thread:

Actually if you look at my videos, it shows that the new formula has been improved and seems to be in fact better than the original in terms of how long it stays together in the water.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Jungle Fan said:

I looked at the videos but in my tank I had the same experience as Cory, it was messier and fell apart sooner and my fish didn't seem to like it as well. I've got a can just sitting here now and am using Repashy instead.

How old is the can you have? Because I'm thinking there was actually a recent reformulation of the new one, so a newer new one.

• Like 1

• Administrators

We tested the "new version" straight from the sales rep, flown to us. Was still just as bad as the other version. I believe they may have control issues, if some people are getting "good ones".

9 minutes ago, Cory said:

We tested the "new version" straight from the sales rep, flown to us. Was still just as bad as the other version. I believe they may have control issues, if some people are getting "good ones".

Ugh, that's unfortunate. Did the sales rep say whether or not sera had made any tweaks to the formula again?

• Administrators
5 minutes ago, StephenP2003 said:

Ugh, that's unfortunate. Did the sales rep say whether or not sera had made any tweaks to the formula again?

If I'm being honest, they said, the stock that was in the USA, during my original testing was old and thats why it failed. So he brought us fresh stock to test. It performed the same. We expressed my concerns that selling old stock and raising the prices aren't going to win people over.

From my point of view, it looks like we lost another company to petco/amazon. Sell lots, loose the feedback loop, watch the quality decline over time. It happens a lot in our industry.

I have some of the 'newer' ones that come in the foil packs after seeing the co-op video about the older versions.  They do seem to be super messy, but my cherry shrimp really like it, and my white cloud mountain minnows go kinda wild for the bits of the tab the shrimp throw into the water column.  The big problem comes from the hillstream loaches going up and using its face to shove the tab from the side glass into the gravel.  Then, it's pretty much only snails and shrimp that get to eat any of it before it breaks apart into the substrate. I never got to try the old formulation, so I don't know if the loaches did the same with the old style.  

I'm probably gonna burn through the product I have now but not bother replacing it when I run out.  With WCMM, I never got the swarm of fish right up front like you see more often with live bearers or tetras with the tabs.  I have plenty of other good foods that everyone in my tank likes (repashy, xtreme, bug bites, hikari etc).

So this might explain why the original formula seemed to fall apart more quickly, if old stock is less durable. The original formula I got in December surely was old given how long ago they changed the formula. 

I'm having good luck with the nature tabs, but it sounds it's just a matter of time before I get a bad batch.