Help deciding on plants for container pond

So I recently purchased a large plastic barrel planter to turn into a patio pond. 

I'm planing on making a shelf and getting some of the fabric pond planting pots in order to add some bog/marginal plants, but I've never had any pond plants and could use suggestions. 

I know I want verigated water celery. I would also like something tall such as a grass or Reed and something that will trail out and hang down over the side of the container. 

I was thinking either sweet flag, blue-eyed grass or dwarf cattails for some thing tall. For the trailing plant I'm at a loss. Can pothos be grown as a marginal plant? 

I was also wondering if I should go with an aquarium lily/tiger lotus or if I should get a smaller variety of pond lily.

I've also got dwarf water lettuce and Frogbit to use as floating plants. As for submerged plants I'll probably just do a mix of everything I've got in my tanks and see what does well. 

Here's a Pic of the container. Somewhere between 23 and 24 gallons, so I figure after adding substrate and planters I'll have about 20 gallons of water for fish. 

The pond planters I'm looking at are 7in cubes if that's important. 

IMG_20210317_205646.jpg

• Like 1

I’d like to hear from @Streetwise who has some very beautiful smaller ponds. He seems to have good success with plants and fish. We used a 15-gal half-barrel like what you’ve got. All of the plants from inside tanks we tried died. Maybe too much sunlight, I think... or not enough fertilizers... not sure. Only water lettuce thrived. And it got really epic-huge! 

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Fish Folk said:

I’d like to hear from @Streetwise who has some very beautiful smaller ponds. He seems to have good success with plants and fish. We used a 15-gal half-barrel like what you’ve got. All of the plants from inside tanks we tried died. Maybe too much sunlight, I think... or not enough fertilizers... not sure. Only water lettuce thrived. And it got really epic-huge! 

Sweet YouTube channel dude, I just checked out some of your other videos too, your platy fish look great, I've always wanted a big colony of red wags. 

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Eddie Dingle said:

Sweet YouTube channel dude, I just checked out some of your other videos too, your platy fish look great, I've always wanted a big colony of red wags. 

Thanks! Just submitted BAP Mollys— should earn “Advanced Breeder” award at fish club. Not a Master Breeder yet, but 2/3rds of the way there.