Freshwater fish that can do well in a 5 gallons.

BullwinkleJJMoose

I've been looking to make an aquascape for a while now, but fish was always optional for me. I just want to know if any fish would do well in a 5 gallon or 7 gallon. If not, I won't add fish. Just plants. But if anyone names one, I will do as much research as I can. I don't want to seem as one of those people who just go to the pet store and buy a betta and keeps it in a rum bottle. If anyone suggests I don't keep a fish in the tank, I won't. I want the tank for the plants.

Edited by BullwinkleJJMoose

14 minutes ago, BullwinkleJJMoose said:

I've been looking to make an aquascape for a while now, but fish was always optional for me. I just want to know if any fish would do well in a 5 gallon or 7 gallon. If not, I won't add fish. Just plants. But if anyone names one, I will do as much research as I can. I don't want to seem as one of those people who just go to the pet store and buy a betta and keeps it in a rum bottle. If anyone suggests I don't keep a fish in the tank, I won't. I want the tank for the plants.

You could try something like chilli rasboras, exclamation point rasboras, which are absolutely tiny. Also celestial pearl danios could work, maybe pigmy corydoras too. 

The issue is that keeping the parameters stable in such a tiny tank can be challenging, but assuming you can do it, a small school of any of those fish could work 

• Like 1

I have a 7.5g with plants, snails, dwarf shrimp, and 5 dwarf blue-eye rainbow fish (pseudomugil). They stay in the top part of the tank a lot, but like darting in and out of the plants. I would be really comfortable adding a few more, or another small type fish--emerald neon rasboras maybe, clown killifish, etc. I have considered scarlet badis too. The trick to stable water quality is to have fish that don't eat a lot or spill a lot. The shrimp do a lot of clean up too.

• Like 2

Thanks to everyone for the fish! These have all been helpful, and I've been researching these fish, going to almost ever site I can. This has been my best forum experience I've had, with 4 posts in an hour! Thank you so much for all of your help.

Edited by BullwinkleJJMoose
corrected reptiles to fish
  • Like 1

I've had a 5 gallon with a pea puffer and 3 amano shrimp. Currently keeping a swim bladder betta in a 5 with an amano shrimp and snails.

I've had chili rasboras and shrimp in there in the past. I moved those over to a 20 gallon long (and added more fish).

My co-worker set up a 5 gallon with 3 male guppies and snails. Its a pretty desk tank.