Is this normal? How do I make it STOP!

New Tank?  Brown Diatom Algae.  Increase your light and do regular partial water changes  Don't overfeed, excess Nitrates won't help.   Once you hit tank Zen...a balanced system,  it will go away.  Good water circulation is important too, move your HOB to a central area so plants aren't in a dead spot.    Add some Amano's or Nerite snails.  Oto's will help, but are sensitive to new unestablished tanks. :classic_rolleyes:  

Edited by Trish

@Trish kinda new I have had it set up since December. to increase the light do you mean time or intensity? I do 20-25 % water changes, and gravel vac the front gravel that drives me NUTS... My snail just died so I have to get another one. I am thinking of getting more, but don't want breeding so wonder if I should do Nerite snails instead and get 2? I want some Amano's but have some fish in QT right now. When they are out, I will QT some shrimp.. 

I have a HOB filter, with an intake filter, I also have a aquarium co op sponge filter in one corner, and a no clog air stone on the other end. the filter is in the middle. I wonder if I should take off the intake filter? Wonder if it would suck it up better without it. I don't have any fry, or small fish that could get suck in to the filter.. 

Diatom algae actually pops up in new systems because there's an over abundance of silicates, which they use to make their outer layer. Once the silicates even out, they should go away. It's a common stage in every new tank, and begins a few months in. 

If you do get nerites, keep in mind if they are female they'll lay little, hard, white eggs everywhere. They're really hard to scrape off decor, and stay around forever since they don't hatch in freshwater. Some people don't mind them but I'm pretty tired of it, lol! Once my nerites age out and pass away I won't be replacing them.

• Like 1

At least 8 hrs light a day. No worries, Nerite snails need brackish water to breed in,  so won't likely do that in fresh water.  Your substrate/rock might trap food, you might want to try a finer gravel, or Flourite substrate (plants like it ) or even sand.  Consider using a bucket with established sponge and heater next time as an extra QT for fish.. Amano's are escape artists so you'll want your tank well covered!  

Just now, H.K.Luterman said:

Diatom algae actually pops up in new systems because there's an over abundance of silicates, which they use to make their outer layer. Once the silicates even out, they should go away. It's a common stage in every new tank, and begins a few months in. 

If you do get nerites, keep in mind if they are female they'll lay little, hard, white eggs everywhere. They're really hard to scrape off decor, and stay around forever since they don't hatch in freshwater. Some people don't mind them but I'm pretty tired of it, lol! Once my nerites age out and pass away I won't be replacing them.

I agree with @H.K.Luterman why spoil your great driftwood and rock with white dots! :classic_huh:

@H.K.Luterman oh.. hmmm... maybe I will just get mystery snails. I hear they have a large bioload? I increased my light intensity a bit..what % I have no idea.. I am so paranoid to get an algae problem having too much light. but I increased the intensity a bit it has a level 1-10 I have it a level 6 (whatever that means) and have it on the white (I was told blue will cause algae??)

I am wondering with all my extra efforts to have bacteria grow, I wonder if its "over kill" wonder if I should remove the intake filter on my HOB and see if it sucks it up more? Thought on that idea? I use filter floss as well occasionally to help clear up the water. 

I bought SeaChem Purigen, but have no idea how to use it on or in my HOB?

the water doesn't smell, and is pretty clear. but this brow stuff.. ugh.. very annoying.. 

Get some oto's they'll make quick work of that!  And when they're nice and fat you can send them to me when you're done 🙂

Also, I've read a lot of conflicting stuff about nitrites nerites laying eggs.  The only consistent "story" from all the reports I've read is that they only have to mate once and carry sperm and then lay for a long time after that.  But if you get them young and unmated and one of each species (turns out each type is a different species) then you can have all females and still no eggs.  Just something to noodle on.

Edited by CT_
silly typeo. i left it stroke through for fun.

1 hour ago, CT_ said:

Get some oto's they'll make quick work of that!  And when they're nice and fat you can send them to me when you're done 🙂

It is my impression that Otocinclus have been hard to find for some time now. I believe the pandemic has severely impacted suppliers. So if you find some, make sure they are healthy! 😎