Try Giant Danios

Trish

When I started my 40 gallon up, I did a fish in cycle with 3 Giant Danios.   A quick, peaceful fish that is always moving.  They occupy the middle layer/ top of the tank mostly.  Since growing to full size at 4 inches I've moved them to larger digs.  Without knowing I bred fry by moving substrate to another tank and wondered what were these little mosquito things swimming around... turned out to be more Giant Danios!  So now have a school of 8 in my largest tank, along with yoyo loaches and a clown loach.  I know Clown's are happiest with their own but this one is 15 yrs old and quite happy to school with the yoyo's and danios.    Danios love to swim so a tank 55g or larger keeps them content.  

Try some Giant Danios, you won't be disappointed!  Their colouring is magnificent!  

Characteristics 

Family Cyprinidae
Origin India, Nepal, Bangladesh, Myanmar, Thailand
Social Active, peaceful, schooling fish
Tank Level Mid and top dweller
Minimum Tank Size 30 gallons
Diet Omnivorous, accepts all foods
Breeding Egg scatterers
Care Easy
pH 6.8 to 7.5
Hardness To 20 dGH
Temperature 72 to 75 F (22 to 24 C)

_MG_5476.JPG

_MG_5478.JPG

Danio Trio copy.jpg

Danio's 2 Sept 2019.jpg

• Like 10

These guys have always really intrigued me. I've been looking for a mid-top dweller for my 75 gallon, since I'm lacking in activity up there. I really want to do a group of Gourami, but I've been coming across some roadblocks with that. (Won't bore you with the details since it's unrelated to this thread.) But if I end up not being able to do Gourami these are at the top of my list of options.

I think they're overlooked because they need a larger tank, and most people who have larger tanks aren't really thinking of danios as a stocking option. But I personally love keeping the 'dime a dozen, found at every pet store' species. You come to admire them in new ways.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Colu said:

They are beautiful fish he's another beautiful Danio I saw recently the Assam Danio

Screenshot_20210309-190956~2.png

@Coluthey really do show their colours beautifully.  I like them personally as they are closest to a pure fish "form" compared to pleco's, rams, embers, loaches, and tetra's that I have currently.  Thanks for sharing!

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Daniel said:

Those are beautiful photographs of gorgeous fish!

Do you think that these would be a good addition to my unheated 55 that has six Denison barbs, six long fin rosy barbs and three hillstream loaches?  Or would you say that I am at my limit in this tank?

I know the Denison barbs can get quite big and I am thinking of getting a bigger tank eventually.  They were very small when I got them.

3 minutes ago, Lifeisgood said:

Do you think that these would be a good addition to my unheated 55 that has six Denison barbs, six long fin rosy barbs and three hillstream loaches?  Or would you say that I am at my limit in this tank?

I know the Denison barbs can get quite big and I am thinking of getting a bigger tank eventually.  They were very small when I got them.

I would be awfully tempted to get the fish I like and then expand into larger tanks as the fish got bigger.

19 minutes ago, Daniel said:

I would be awfully tempted to get the fish I like and then expand into larger tanks as the fish got bigger.

Multiple tank syndrome sets in... 😅

I just don’t want the fish to be too cramped in the mean time.  Adding the Rosy barbs has added a lot more activity to the tank.  But they mostly swim in the lower two thirds of the tank.