Which is better for my Anubias and Java ferns- white or bluish LED light?

I work 10 hours/ day. So typically,  my aquarium lights are on 14-16 hours a day. Right now it's mostly on white LED light while I am away, then I switch it bluish LED light when I get home. My plants are are most Anubias and Java Ferns and a few moderate to high light requiring plants. I read that too strong a light will actually be bad for Anubias and Java ferns. For the 14 or so hours that I am away from home, which would be better for the plants-  the white LED lights or the bluish LED lights? Thank you.

I have heard that blue lights can promote algae growth...so, I would vote for white!  Those high light plants probably love the long light days!

I also know from personal experience that too much light on anubias and java fern can promote algae growth!  Are you experiencing any algae growth on those plants?  And if so, have you considered getting a light timer?

If your plants look great and your lighting scheme has been consistent for a month-ish, I wouldn't make any changes!

I actually did have an algae problem, not too long ago. That got me started on reading up on lighting, maintenance and so on. And I did find some vlogs and articles about excessive lighting causing algae issues. However I also found articles and vlogs about how insufficient lighting can enable some algae to overtake plant growth, because some algae are more efficient at utilizing whatever insufficient light there may be. 

And I did try to hook up my aquarium with light timers. Unfortunately, my aquarium came with a built-in LED light. For some reason, mostly with the way it is wired, if the timer turns the lights off, it won't come on again unless you physically press the on/off switch.  And it's a semi-hexagonal tank so getting an aftermarket tank hood is not an option.

So much for thinking that choosing a semi-hexagonal tank was a bright idea. 

I think it sounds cool!!!

I can't help you with the high light plants, but I'm finally getting my algae issue under control with my anubias and java fern.  I tried changing multiple variables, but in the end, reducing the lighting was the only thing that made a difference.  I didn't treat my algae with any chemicals...I've just been physically removing and monitoring for additional growth.

I have a built-in LED as well...I use one of those 24-hour mechanical timers.  But, my light only has two settings...on and off!  Haha!  Yours sounds more complex.

If you've got a built-in LED that can change from white to blue light...is it also dimmable? 

If your algae problem isn't a problem anymore...then, are you aiming for more plant growth?  Or, what are you hoping to accomplish by changing your lighting scheme?

(I'm feeling very nosy...sorry for all of the questions, haha!)

Edited by Betsy

I think a great trick in your situation would be to add some floating plants. They will add shade for the low light plants, can be discarded in lieu of water changes (as they multiply), and will require more fertilizer, so they tend to starve algae also.

Unless you REALLY love it, avoid duckweed. All other floaters can be easily removed if you decide you don't like them. 

An alternative is to add a piece of standard window screen to your tank while you are at work, thus lowering light intensity, or get a light timer and and break your photoperiod into 2 periods, am on/mid-day siesta/pm on. I know the tank lights you mean though, and they kinda suck. you may want to eventually enter the realm of exteme DIY and rewire them. Leds are pretty easy actually.

Edited by Brandy
  • Like 2

I recently removed my blue lunar light on my tank, because although it seemed to have a calming effect on my fish it just extended the active photoperiod for another four hours - for algae only. Now the GSA I had started to see on some of my Anubias are slowly disappearing again.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Brandy said:

I think a great trick in your situation would be to add some floating plants. They will add shade for the low light plants, can be discarded in lieu of water changes (as they multiply), and will require more fertilizer, so they tend to starve algae also.

Unless you REALLY love it, avoid duckweed. All other floaters can be easily removed if you decide you don't like them. 

An alternative is to add a piece of standard window screen to your tank while you are at work, thus lowering light intensity, or get a light timer and and break your photoperiod into 2 periods, am on/mid-day siesta/pm on. I know the tank lights you mean though, and they kinda suck. you may want to eventually enter the realm of exteme DIY and rewire them. Leds are pretty easy actually.

The split photoperiod seems like the best idea to me