Favorite Wild Fish?

PlaneFishGuy

12 hours ago, PlaneFishGuy said:

@Deku-Corydoras Redside Dace looks awesome - almost like a native rainbow shark 

I live in the southeast (alabama) and Ive been kicking around the idea of a southeastern native community tank. I haven't deep dived too much into fish compatibility yet but the feedback on the this thread is giving me some ideas (i.e. alabama rainbow shiners and gulf coast pygmy sunfish in a heavily planted tank) 

Redside Dace.jpg

In that al.com article I linked to, there's also a redspot darter (photo from the article shown below) that is gorgeous. I learned a lot from that article. I knew Alabama was incredibly biodiverse, but I was a bit shocked at the numbers of species it listed.

20295614-standard.jpg

• Like 3

17 hours ago, keddre said:

No, salt. I haven’t been able to find any cool inverts in freshwater yet which sucks because I’m an invert nerm. 

Probably a fascination with unusual life forms has led to an interest in some freshwater oddballs.  They are not as colorful as saltwater inverts but usually have colorful personalities.😁

3 hours ago, Pigeonduck said:

I had seen Americans mentioning three spines sticklebacks but I hadn't looked up to see if it's the same species as we get in Europe. Turns out it is! I love watching these in the wild and have always wanted to keep some in an aquarium but there supposed to be quite tricky to keep.

ORD  💜

I think you are correct. It was a l-o-n-g time ago, but I seem to recall they need high flow, super-clean water, high oxygenation, gravel substrate, and live food. Also, the males become very territorial during breeding season, so you cannot keep more than male in the tank. 

• Like 1