EHEIM classic canister

Chandra

Eheim Classics are my favorite. I've had both Marineland and Fluval FX canisters but got rid of them. I like the Eheim Classic because its simple and great quality. The size I have just has one basket inside that you can fill with whatever you want. I have a course sponge at the bottom and the rest is filled with bio-media. 

48 minutes ago, MickS77 said:

Eheim Classics are my favorite. I've had both Marineland and Fluval FX canisters but got rid of them. I like the Eheim Classic because its simple and great quality. The size I have just has one basket inside that you can fill with whatever you want. I have a course sponge at the bottom and the rest is filled with bio-media. 

Did you ever have leaks? I live currently in an apartment and I'm really worried about the leaks.

Just now, Chandra said:

Did you ever have leaks?

I have had no leaks with Eheim Classic. It also comes with in-line shut offs for the inlet and outlet tubing. With proper use the shut offs minimize water spillage when servicing the filter. 

I have used the Eheim classic, and I have to say, I really REALLY subscribe to the @Cory axiom: "The best filter is the one you're servicing". For me, cleaning canister filters is never fun, always messy, takes half an hour minimum, and I lose my prime sometimes when I'm doing a water change at the same time. I finally stopped buying them, because I was cleaning them once every six months or so.

So not to hijack your thread's intent, but my three cents: AquaClear HOB for the win! I can service it in five minutes, which means I will do it every weekend! It's better for the fish than my giving them a canister filter.

Now to the Eheim Classic, I find it's a bit more work to service than some of the newer canisters, even three-generation-old Fluvals.

So the best advice I can give: Buy a filter that you will be happy to maintain regularly. Number One criteria should be how easy it is to service.

Edited by Bill Smith

I also have a classic I've run for years on a 55. They do not leak at all and are far more bullet proof that other types.

That said I agree it might not be the right solution for your 20g. If there is a compeling reason, such as I really, really want a spray bar then go for it. Otherwise I'd look at an Aquaclear or spong filter.

On 8/28/2020 at 2:43 PM, Bill Smith said:

I have used the Eheim classic, and I have to say, I really REALLY subscribe to the @Cory axiom: "The best filter is the one you're servicing". For me, cleaning canister filters is never fun, always messy, takes half an hour minimum, and I lose my prime sometimes when I'm doing a water change at the same time. I finally stopped buying them, because I was cleaning them once every six months or so.

So not to hijack your thread's intent, but my three cents: AquaClear HOB for the win! I can service it in five minutes, which means I will do it every weekend! It's better for the fish than my giving them a canister filter.

Now to the Eheim Classic, I find it's a bit more work to service than some of the newer canisters, even three-generation-old Fluvals.

So the best advice I can give: Buy a filter that you will be happy to maintain regularly. Number One criteria should be how easy it is to service.

I like your advice. I went by your suggestion and got an AC50 instead.

I just last week switched from an Eheim Classic 2215 to a Fluval FX4 on a 65 gallon tank. I feel like the 2215 would better fit a 20-30 gallon tank. It doesn't flow much water at all. The actual turnover has it effectively maxing out at 30 gallons, I think.

The media capacity on it is huge, but it doesn't use any kind of baskets. So you might consider putting bio media inside of a sock. I'd probably suggest ditching the bio media that comes with it and using instead a sock full of pumice stone. If you're going to maintain it regularly, I'd suggest using floss instead of sponges to keep the water cleaner.

That said... there are some things I really don't like about them:

• The metal tabs used to keep the lid closed are very hard for me to pull open with my big man fingers. I always have to get my wife or daughter to help with those (or use pliers). They feel like they are cheap and could break at any time.
  • You have to prime them yourself. This can be messy.
  • The above two problems can incline one to procrastinate on regular maintenance.

For a 20 gallon tank, in retrospect, it's just really hard to beat a sponge filter with a small air pump.