Hello everyone! This is my 10 gal tank. I wanted to change the substrate from this weird white imaginarium stuff to more natural colored sand but something that will still easily grow plants. Any suggestions? Also I have the fluval 3.0 15in lamp, would that be considered medium light or high light? Thanks!

unnamed.jpg.97d684cb517523ecda20000b129bc4a2.jpg

You could definitely try quikrete all-purpose sand. Honestly, anything works as long as its not super fine like play sand. If you're going to do a sand setup, I would definitely recommend some root tabs. That will really help the plants establish faster and healthier. 

8 minutes ago, Yanni said:

You could definitely try quikrete all-purpose sand. Honestly, anything works as long as its not super fine like play sand. If you're going to do a sand setup, I would definitely recommend some root tabs. That will really help the plants establish faster and healthier. 

I use easy green root tabs and easy green liquid as well currently. 

3 minutes ago, 1moretank said:

I use Vigoro pea pebbles from Home Depot, very small pebbles look  like the bottom of many little creeks and a big bag for under $5.  I grow crypts, swords, jungle val and they all seem to like it.  It's still a fairly light color.  If you don't want cloudy water, it takes a lot of rinsing.

I didn't even think of going to the hardware store. Silly me. 

In different tanks I'm using: official aquarium gravel because it has color, Home Depot pea gravel, pool sand, and lava rock. They are all growing plants in low/med. light.

You might want to shop around a little for pea gravel as size and coloration tends to vary.  

• Like 1