Felix Aquarium Monitor/Controller, worst the money?

Larry

I have been intrigued by the George Farmer backed Felix Aquarium Monitor/Controller system, and saw some discussion about testing the device by Daniel some time ago,  but it didn't seem to have much content and didn't really answer whether the cost as worth it. 

Can anyone please let me know if anyone is using this system and if it works?

Being an Engineer,  I am interested in anything that could monitor, alert, and take action to correct a possible issue in my aquarium. 

Is the Felix system just hype or is it a cool thing to have. 

Thanks, Larry

I'm not very familiar with this device, though it sounds similar to Apex controllers which are commonly used in saltwater systems. Generally controllers can be useful to track tank parameters, run lights or heaters, or as safety measures to stop things from happening if detected (leaks, power shorts, overheating, ph imbalances, etc.). I have a couple used Apex systems that I've bought that I'm waiting to setup on my saltwater tanks. I was going to use one of them as a ph and temp controller when I was going to setup co2 on my planted tank, but I never setup the co2 system.

I for one wouldn't be that interested in the underwater VR cam or the voice control on the Felix. For the price, you can get a lot of features from the Apex controller line, so if you haven't checked that out as well, I'd recommend doing so and comparing the two.

Also, what sort of system are you running: lights, co2, etc.?

I also use heater controllers on a few on my tanks as extra peace of mind in case of a heater failure. All mine are currently inkbirds, but I'm considering trying Ranco; it's more expensive, but considered to be the highest quality and reliability.

@Larry Felix is a Seneye monitoring system with a camera. The Seneye part is okay, but the camera is disappointing. Buying a Seneye will set you back a little less than $200.

I would not make the purchase again.

On the other hand, I have had my Neptune Apex system for over a decade. I use it everyday and would purchase one again.

• Like 1

I've  got a pH controller that I bought for my CO2 but after using it for a while it's now back in its box because in the end all it did was just add more cost, some more chores, and take up another outlet with the continual re-calibrating of the probe and having to buy the calibration fluids. In the end it provided nothing I wasn't able to achieve during my daily monitoring, and with the solenoid, and CO2 drop checker anyway. Yes, I know it's not that accurate but in hindsight the money I spent on plants, hardscape, ferts, a variety of fish foods, and lights was better spent.